Suggestions on 20” pro saw

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #1  

Hay Dude

Super Star Member
Tractor
Challenger MT655E, Massey Ferguson 7495, Challenger MT535B, Krone 4x4 XC baler, Kubota F3680 & ZD331 Ram 5500 Cummins 4x4, IH 7500 4x4 dump truck, Kaufman 35’ tandem 19 ton trailer, John Deere CX-15
Looking at adding a 20” saw to the fleet and have been looking at a new Stihl 261C.

Without a brand warfare eruption, is there any reason I should look at another comparable brand?

I like Stihl because my neighborhood dealer is very good and I like Stihl‘s business model. That might overwhelm the temptation to buy another brand that is only slightly better.

Little hesitating on the non adjustable carb, but that’s my only perceived drawback.

This is a saw I intend to use weekly as a general purpose small to medium size grab & go saw.

Constructive, non brand warfare thoughts appreciated.

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #2  
I have and swore by STIHL. But my Kubota dealer got me to try Echo and so far they have been great. Same reliability as my STIHL's.
When I first saw Echo, I thought they were some "cheapy" brand. But they are quality made in Japan.

My small engine mechanic is telling me the new emission motored STIHLS are a pain in the rear.

Last edited:
   / Suggestions on 20” pro saw #3  
I’ve have had a Stihl 261 for about 2 or 3 years. It’s fairly light and for its size it has a lot of power. I have an 18” bar on mine but it would pull a 20” easily. I can’t tell you my exact model, they make one with an automatic tuning carb and one without. Mine does NOT have the automatic tuning carb which was not a problem until this summer. I hate cutting wood in the summer but had a tree blow down.

I had a little trouble keeping it running once it got hot. I suspect it was a tuning issue plus there is a little door you can set to pull hot air into the carb. I had that little door open instead of closed. It might be nice to have the auto tuning carb.

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #5  
Looking at adding a 20” saw to the fleet and have been looking at a new Stihl 261C.

Without a brand warfare eruption, is there any reason I should look at another comparable brand?

I like Stihl because my neighborhood dealer is very good and I like Stihl‘s business model. That might overwhelm the temptation to buy another brand that is only slightly better.

Little hesitating on the non adjustable carb, but that’s my only perceived drawback.

This is a saw I intend to use weekly as a general purpose small to medium size grab & go saw.

Constructive, non brand warfare thoughts appreciated.

I have a 261 and it is nice saw. I still use my older ms361 pro saw for cutting bigger stuff. Have you thought about the ms362 pro-saw. Will cut great with 20 inch bar and have some more power. Not to sure about weight difference,

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw
I have a 261 and it is nice saw. I still use my older ms361 pro saw for cutting bigger stuff. Have you thought about the ms362 pro-saw. Will cut great with 20 inch bar and have some more power. Not to sure about weight difference,

I will check that one out.
I liked the price of the 261C at $699. We have Stihl sale this weekend 10% off, so I’d be at a hair over $600.

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #7  
Yeah the 362 is going to be in the 899 range probably. I bought a ms241 10 years ago and love it. It is my go to saw for smaller stuff. I use that thing all the time. I diont know why stihl stopped making them and not sure what is equivalent to it today buit I am so glad I have one. Love that saw.

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #8  
Ohh, one last thing, whatever brand you get, I reccomend going with the pro-version. It is always more but when I am cutting wood I want the top of the line.

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw
I probably don’t qualify for that level of saw based on frequency of use.
I average once in very 7-10 days.

/ Suggestions on 20” pro saw #10  
We dont have a pro saw. We have the Husky 460 Rancher came with a 24 inch bar but we put a 20 inch bar on and it will sling a 20 inch chain. Definitely not a pro saw though.