Suggestions on a Chop Saw

/ Suggestions on a Chop Saw #51  
I am wondering if the others who posted about "miter saws" are possiby in the same boat as me.
When I first started building my FEL, I needed a chop saw and didn't want to spend the money for a questionable quality one and couldn't justify a good brand to make a few cuts I needed at the time.
I had my old craftsman miter saw sitting in the corner and slapped a 10" abrasive blade on it and went to cutting metal. 4 years later, I am still using it for cutting metal as much as I use it for cutting wood.
Talk about a redneck,jack leg,cheap-son-of-a-gun thing to do but I have to say, it was cheap ( all it cost me was a metal cutting blade), handy,powerful (13 amps) and is very easy to set for accurate angled cuts. When I finally wear it out, I'll buy something better but I can't seem to wear the dang thing out.

Thanks for this reply to the original question. I have a nice $500 double compound angle 12" DeWalt miter saw but occasionally need a chop saw. BUT - I've been afraid that the saw speed might send the chop saw blade sailing like a missile!

Can I assume that it's safe to use a miter saw with a chop saw blade?

Jim

/ Suggestions on a Chop Saw #52  
Thanks for this reply to the original question. I have a nice $500 double compound angle 12" DeWalt miter saw but occasionally need a chop saw. BUT - I've been afraid that the saw speed might send the chop saw blade sailing like a missile!

Can I assume that it's safe to use a miter saw with a chop saw blade?

Jim
SOme do, but i dont recommend it. Getting your nice miter saw full of metal shavings isnt worth it in my opinion. Is yours a slider? Then youd likely get metal in the bearings for the slides.

Plus theres the whole "red hot sparks" and old sawdust issue.

Id just bite the bullet and get a dedicated chop saw. I have both a Makita sliding compound mitre and a makita metal chop saw.

/ Suggestions on a Chop Saw #53  
SOme do, but i dont recommend it. Getting your nice miter saw full of metal shavings isnt worth it in my opinion. Is yours a slider? Then youd likely get metal in the bearings for the slides.

Plus theres the whole "red hot sparks" and old sawdust issue.

Id just bite the bullet and get a dedicated chop saw. I have both a Makita sliding compound mitre and a makita metal chop saw.

Good post!

And also IF its a slider it won't cut good.

I know a guy that tried using a sliding miter saw... When he would pull it across the metal to cut it, the blade would get in a bind & break the cutting wheel.

/ Suggestions on a Chop Saw #54  
I tried a wood miter saw long time ago and melted holes in the plastic blade guard.

Something to think about.

/ Suggestions on a Chop Saw #55  
>snip<SOme do, but i dont recommend it. <snip>

Thanks JohnDeere4300 & Scooby.

Yeah, mine's a sliding super duper etc that I really don't want to booger up with shavings. Good advice.