Suggestions on metal cutting bandsaw for these great projects?

/ Suggestions on metal cutting bandsaw for these great projects? #1  

zubin6220

I've found quite a few decent projects for my tractor from this forum but think I should invest in some sort of good band saw. I've got a new Ranger welder but gas cutting just doesn't seem to give the results. I was hoping that I could get a few good recommendations on metal cutting bandsaws. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

/ Suggestions on metal cutting bandsaw for these great projects? #2  
I, and others, use the "El Cheapo" Harbor Freight or Grizzley style of bandsaw.

I have cut I-beam, thick walled tubing and other beefy pieces and it works fine. Replacement bands are about $10 a piece. Sometimes less, on sale.

There are certainly bigger, nicer Bandsaws out there, and I wouldn't talk you out of a $700 Bandsaw if you have the Cash to spend, but, if you are looking for an economical means to get a smooth cut, these little cheapos do the job.

When I bought mine many many moons ago, I figured it was a "disposable" unit and at some point would fall apart, well, about 12 years later and it's still humming along.

Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

/ Suggestions on metal cutting bandsaw for these great projects? #3  
I use a metal cutting wheel in my 30 year old Craftsman table saw more often than I use it for wood. The wheels abraid so you will need several to cut thick, long or cast irom pieces. But, the line is straight, good welding joints, multiple angle and a professional looking piece when completed. Long or large pieces are awkward to get on the table, but for most projects a cheap garage sale table saw has done all the metal cutting I would ever want. Pipe, plate, angle, aluminum, plastic, rubber and limestone all can be cut nicely with appropriate wheels on the standard intended for wood saws. A radial arm saw ought to work well, too. Its just another form of a cut-off saw. Around my neck of the woods, this type of saw with a cast iron bed and a stand is a $50 item.

/ Suggestions on metal cutting bandsaw for these great projects? #4  
I don't have a plasma cutter or torch... What I use is one of 2 things. I have an electric 4" angle grinder that takes a wafer wheel. Here recently I got the idea from this forum to use a chop saw with a metel blade. These do a great job. The downfall to the chop saw is your limited to the maximum width of the saw. The downfall to the angle grinder is the cost per wheel. If you have the need to cut thick metel of any length it's gonna cost a few bucks. The up side to both is the smooth cuts. Hope this helps. MItch

/ Suggestions on metal cutting bandsaw for these great projects? #7  
The problem withe the vertical bandsaws shown in the last couple of posts is their throat capacity which limits the lenght of material they can cut. They are also difficult to work with with long heavy material. for metal working, the horizontal bandsaw as shown on the Harbor site works much better.

Andy

/ Suggestions on metal cutting bandsaw for these great projects? #8  
My issues have been related to my learning about the saw. Learning what types of blades work best, how to get it adjusted/aligned to cut straight. It's worked great for lots of projects once I got it dialed in. Just took a bit of time.

Whether a vertical or horizontal bandsaw will work for you depends on what type of cutting. Curved pieces pretty much require a vertical bandsaw. I use a metal-blade chop-saw for most long-stock -- a horizontal bandsaw can work well for that.

/ Suggestions on metal cutting bandsaw for these great projects? #9  
For straight cuts on various metals, dont go with a saw band any smaller than 3/4"
The cheapest ones available have half inch saw bands but those wander along the beam when trying to make a 45° cut, the band wil usually flex so that the result is a wavy 42° cut.
Mine is a Huvema, but Northern Tool sells the exact same taiwanese or chinese saw under one of their brand names. It's the 7x12' model with a 3/4" band. I bought it from the internet for 150 Euro, new price is 1200 Euro. My friends are jealous ;)

/ Suggestions on metal cutting bandsaw for these great projects? #10  
Ellis is the cadillac of metal bandsaws. They perform flawlessly, are very portable, and cut angles in a flash. Use one for ten minutes and your hooked. They may be a bit pricey but considering you may never have to buy another it fits the program.