Suitable birthday gift for a 100 year old?

/ Suitable birthday gift for a 100 year old? #1  

JDgreen227

Tractor
4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318
Guys, this coming weekend I am attending the 100th birthday celebration for the mother of my step mom, and am clueless as to what to get her. Anybody have an idea...because I sure don't !!! :laughing:

/ Suitable birthday gift for a 100 year old? #2  
Something pretty and consumable. Corsage, bouquet, fruit basket.

/ Suitable birthday gift for a 100 year old? #3  
The New York Times, for one anyways, offers reprints of their front page on a given date, such as her birth date. Probably not enough time to do that by this weekend.

/ Suitable birthday gift for a 100 year old? #4  
For my Gram, we restored pictures and put a scrapbook together and a family tree.
I found these examples below on line.

When I worked at an assisted living home and one of the residents turned 100, everyone made sure her day was extra special! That night we made a path of 100 balloons from her room to her table in the dining room where she was greeted with flowers, a tiara, and her favorite breakfast. After breakfast, they took her to the beauty salon to get her hair, nails, and makeup done and then took her out to some of her favorite places! When people get that age, it is not the material gifts that mean anything to them, it is people spending time with them and making them feel loved and important!
suggest restoring an old photo of her and her siblings, parents, or her wedding in a beautiful frame. Even finding something of her past that wil spark some sort of warm spot within her. Maybe get the family to take photographs by generations I think that would be the most heart felt gift to look at all of her off springs with pride! Place them all in a nice frame and present them to her this is a gift that is priceless and timeless.
How about collecting favorite memories about Grandma? For our great-granddad, I sent e-mails and notes in Christmas cards (sorry that won't work) and asked relatives, friends and neighbors to put short tales on strips and squares of colored scrapbook paper (you can send them outwith the requests)I also made some put them on paper at a superbowl party. I put them in a clear plastic jar with a cover and a bow. We made a label "Special Stories about Granddad". Because I put them in, I knew some of the funiest, and pulled them in an envelope and read them when we gave him his container. I learned so many things that he had done, and we got to celebrate and laugh while he was alive. He died a year ago today, and I was just reminiscing about that with my daughter. It was a great project! Good luck!

/ Suitable birthday gift for a 100 year old? #5  
Once a person reaches a certain age, they don't really need anything, but they always appreciate something sentimental. I've used Picaboo.com to create photo books that are always a big hit, and I've always found a nicely framed picture so somebody they care about is always a success.

Another idea that you might consider is to volunteer a day to do chores or fix things for her.

Eddie

/ Suitable birthday gift for a 100 year old? #6  
I agree when folks get to that age there is not much in the way of material things they really need...IMO the greatest gift you can give to elderly loved ones is your time

/ Suitable birthday gift for a 100 year old?
Thanks to all who gave ideas...I have decided to do the photography work for the celebration using my extensive collection of equipment, and create memory books for members of the family. I just learned there will be close to 150 guests so I am sure there will be many opportunities for good pictures.

/ Suitable birthday gift for a 100 year old? #8  
I suggest a tractor.

/ Suitable birthday gift for a 100 year old? #9  
I agree when folks get to that age there is not much in the way of material things they really need...IMO the greatest gift you can give to elderly loved ones is your time
I agree, even at my age, it is hard to find a gift for me (at least my kids/wife say so. Spending time together is always special and much more preferable than a gift.

/ Suitable birthday gift for a 100 year old?
I suggest a tractor.

Don't laugh, but my step mother has a picture of her mother seated on a John Deere 60...the family tractor they owned for many years. Sadly, I doubt if the assisted living facility the birthday lady resides at would want her at the wheel of anything motorized...