Suitcase Weight opinions for a L2501DT

/ Suitcase Weight opinions for a L2501DT #1  

Rosher18

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota
Hi all,

I used to own a '77 L185DT with loader but we recently sold it due to hydraulic system reliability issues and bought a new '23 L2501DT. At 10 hours on the clock I've been able to put it through nearly all its expected work for a long life with us, but I've come to a point where I need opinions.

I grade a 60'x96' indoor riding arena with a box blade and chain harrow pretty frequently. Due to the size of the 60" bucket on the loader I am enjoying removing the loader to avoid having to watch out for the poles around the edges. This obviously causes my front end to get light enough with a big bite of footing that I have very little steering control, and have to interrupt the grading or risk understeering into the walls.

What do you all think about suitcase weights to hang on the front end to counteract some of this lost front weight? Can I keep them on when I re-attach the loader? Should I take them off when doing deep-mud loader work in my compost pile? Has anyone had suitcase weights be a decision-maker whether or not they've gotten stuck in mud?
20230902_161048.jpg

/ Suitcase Weight opinions for a L2501DT #2  
From that angle on the picture, doesn't look you have enough room for the suitcase weights unless you can find some short ones and mount it really close to the tractor.

Another option could be getting some thick plates and mount them under the frame of the tractor, right in front of the axle. This was it should be out of the way of the loader and you can keep them there all the time. You could stack a couple of them without loosing ground clearance.

My tractor came with 6x 17kgs weights. At the time, I built my winch first and then the loader. Both were built around the weights so I never had to take them off. Recently I did take them off as I didn't really need them there. Used them on another project.

/ Suitcase Weight opinions for a L2501DT #3  
Would filling the front tires be an answer?

Cheers,
Mike

/ Suitcase Weight opinions for a L2501DT #4  
I suspect that Kubota makes front weights for that tractor which would be made to clear the loader and other things.

One option that I would consider is leaving the loader frame ON (much less of a pain to just take the bucket off) and fabricate a weight of whatever seems adequate to mount in place of the bucket -- narrower of course.

I assume you have SSQA compatibility on the FEL and probably know that many outfits sell SSQA blank plates that can be used for custom welding and mounting most anything to the loader. You could get one of those and hunt around scrap yards and country auctions for some suitable weight to mount on the SSQA plate. How heavy? Judgement call. The smaller Kubotas (e.g. B2150 that I have) use 55 lb suitcase weights that appear to be cast iron. Never paid any attention to them. One advantage of using the loader to hold the front weights is that the added weight is further forward (compared to frame weights) and thus "more effective per pound" in terms of putting downward pressure on the front wheels.

/ Suitcase Weight opinions for a L2501DT
I suspect that Kubota makes front weights for that tractor which would be made to clear the loader and other things.

One option that I would consider is leaving the loader frame ON (much less of a pain to just take the bucket off) and fabricate a weight of whatever seems adequate to mount in place of the bucket -- narrower of course.

I assume you have SSQA compatibility on the FEL and probably know that many outfits sell SSQA blank plates that can be used for custom welding and mounting most anything to the loader. You could get one of those and hunt around scrap yards and country auctions for some suitable weight to mount on the SSQA plate. How heavy? Judgement call. The smaller Kubotas (e.g. B2150 that I have) use 55 lb suitcase weights that appear to be cast iron. Never paid any attention to them. One advantage of using the loader to hold the front weights is that the added weight is further forward (compared to frame weights) and thus "more effective per pound" in terms of putting downward pressure on the front wheels.
I didn't spring for the SSQA loader option, since I haven't needed it in the 7 years I've been on this property with the old L185. So I got the pin-on bucket.

I've been practicing getting the loader disconnect/reconnect process smoothed out, but I agree it's a lot less fiddling around to leave it on.

Thanks for your input. I appreciate any additional thoughts you might have.

Would filling the front tires be an answer?

Cheers,
Mike
I didn't hear about it being an option in the manual or from the dealer, just the rears. I did have them load the rears up. I actually got to drive it on the dealer's lot before they were done with setting it up, and wow does loaded tires make a difference.

From that angle on the picture, doesn't look you have enough room for the suitcase weights unless you can find some short ones and mount it really close to the tractor.

Another option could be getting some thick plates and mount them under the frame of the tractor, right in front of the axle. This was it should be out of the way of the loader and you can keep them there all the time. You could stack a couple of them without loosing ground clearance.

My tractor came with 6x 17kgs weights. At the time, I built my winch first and then the loader. Both were built around the weights so I never had to take them off. Recently I did take them off as I didn't really need them there. Used them on another project.
Hadn't thought about just adding weight under the front end mounted to the frame. I'll see where that line of thought takes me! Thank you.

/ Suitcase Weight opinions for a L2501DT #8  
Maybe good welding shop can come up with good bracket also wights for the frontend.

/ Suitcase Weight opinions for a L2501DT #10  
Ruffdog's video makes for a neat solution that does not appear junky like many homebrews would. I do wonder it will clear your loader and other things? Can't tell but it looks like you have grille protector that would be a conflict.