Sunk the Kubota

/ Sunk the Kubota #21  
You just gave me the best excuse to keep the old Fordson Power Major. The wife says I don't need it now that I have a new Kubota she can drive.

Having two machines is the way to go. Well, more are welcome two, I suppose. The MX will be your go to machine, but a second tractor to pull a hay wagon or trailer, pull the MX out, leave set up with an implement, really saves a lot of time in some cases.

I find I can get a lot more mowing done if the mower just lives on one of my machines for a few weeks at a time. If I need do to something else, usually the other tractor can step in. This way rather than having to do all my mowing before I need the tractor elsewhere, I can just hop on for an hour whenever it's convenient.

I think that when you consider the time savings versus what you're gonna get for the Fordson if you sell it, it might make sense to keep it. At least for a while to try it out. It's not like it's depreciating or anything. You can always sell it later.

/ Sunk the Kubota #22  
Having two machines is the way to go. Well, more are welcome two, I suppose. The MX will be your go to machine, but a second tractor to pull a hay wagon or trailer, pull the MX out, leave set up with an implement, really saves a lot of time in some cases.

I find I can get a lot more mowing done if the mower just lives on one of my machines for a few weeks at a time. If I need do to something else, usually the other tractor can step in. This way rather than having to do all my mowing before I need the tractor elsewhere, I can just hop on for an hour whenever it's convenient.

I think that when you consider the time savings versus what you're gonna get for the Fordson if you sell it, it might make sense to keep it. At least for a while to try it out. It's not like it's depreciating or anything. You can always sell it later.

My thoughts exactly. Now comes the sell job:eek:

/ Sunk the Kubota #23  
My thoughts exactly. Now comes the sell job:eek:

No sell job. Just tell the wife you decided to keep it and don't say another word. She's got 30 pairs of shoes, right?

/ Sunk the Kubota #24  
No sell job. Just tell the wife you decided to keep it and don't say another word. She's got 30 pairs of shoes, right?

Some day we can talk about how 2 A+ Types manage to last 20 years in the same house ... but the short story is you play to the others' strong suit and let them make the correct decision. ;)

/ Sunk the Kubota #25  
I understand.

Maybe just have the new tractor in the barn and if she ever says anything tell he it's been there for two years and to not play games. Could work. My wife has stuff show up and then tells me we already talked about it and I OK'd it. No I didn't but she's nice enough that it doesn't matter. We're both type A, I'll add.

/ Sunk the Kubota #26  
I understand.

Maybe just have the new tractor in the barn and if she ever says anything tell he it's been there for two years and to not play games. Could work. My wife has stuff show up and then tells me we already talked about it and I OK'd it. No I didn't but she's nice enough that it doesn't matter. We're both type A, I'll add.

That won't work ... she wrote the check for the MX5100. The old Fordson's clutch went out and we had "her stuff" to do on the farm. So one thing led to another and "WE" got a new tractor that she could drive. Win-Win

Now that the Fordson is up and running again, I actually was good with selling it but am now having second thoughts. Having the chipper permanently attached to the Fordson would make my life easier and cost less. The Fordson uses about 1.5 Gal/hr chipping and the Kubota is running close to 3 Gal/hr.

I'll get the idea sold but it will be her idea in the end:D

/ Sunk the Kubota #27  
Keep the Fordson. You will always be able to sell it for what you could now get for it or probably even more. You can use it for free, not have to hassle with changing implements and it makes more time available to spend with the family.

Never sell a tractor. Every one I ever sold I have regretted.

/ Sunk the Kubota #28  
I thought the same thing.

My father in law was a great man and he told me one tractor by itself is helpless. I sure learned what he meant. Found a small excavator is handy to pull tractor out for normally hard to get it where it needs help.

I had my wife use the Kioti to get me and a rented excavator unstuck:D It was, as being stuck goes, a minor incident- I've learned, from, reading about how other have gotten stuck, ahem, that at the point when you think you might be stuck that you ought to STOP trying to make it obvious! :laughing:

My Kioti has been used to lift my B7800 (with an attached box blade) out of a ditch. Turnabout is fair play, my B7800 helped get my Kioto unstuck: it wasn't so much stuck as it was pinned in by a dump trailer was stuck and blocking the Kioti's exit path (Kioti had been pulling the full dump trailer and there was no room to turn around- I was building a "road").

Having stuff connected on the rear and getting stuck is a double-whammy: implement always seems to hang things up more.

I once used a tire (with cut sidewall- bead cut out) pushed perpendicular to a front tire/wheel on the B7800 as a way to get myself unstuck. Yeah, I'm trying to recollect how the thing stayed on for a rotation or so. I think I was just using it as something to get traction on and it stuck and turned into a paddle wheel:D Never thought to test this combo again.

/ Sunk the Kubota #29  
You just gave me the best excuse to keep the old Fordson Power Major. The wife says I don't need it now that I have a new Kubota she can drive.

You need it. There is always a need for a second tractor, particularly a paid for one.