Super A hydraulics

/ Super A hydraulics #1  

hinghamjd

Tractor
JD 3320, 1947 Farmall Super A
Having issues with my touch control and have a few questions.
Does anyone know what the equivalent hydraulic oil for touch control oil? Like what weight?
I can move the rock arms on the touch control (by hand) and they seem to be mushy, like their is air stuck in there, but I haven't been able to find anything in the manual that explains how to bleed it out. I had rebuilt the touch control unit several years ago and just recently installed it and filled it with 32 weight hydro. oil and haven't been able to get anything to work. Please help, thanks Kurt

/ Super A hydraulics #2  
I believe it is 20wt. But the generic Trans/hydraulic equivalent to Hy-Tran fluid found at TSC, etc., works fine.

To bleed the system, fill the reservoir, then move the touch control levers back and forth, until the pump picks up the fluid. It will take more than several times to do this. Once the arms are cycling, recheck your reservoir, and top it off.

When the levers are moved to full stop either way, and it sounds like it's up against the pump bypassing, there are adjustments on the TC unit to set stops, before it gets that far to deadhead.

/ Super A hydraulics
Thanks DJ54, I have been doing the bleeding like you are explaining, but after a few minutes of running the pump gets real hot and starts to smoke, so I shut it down, but maybe my oil is too heavy, I think I'll get some hy-tran and see if that helps. Thank you

/ Super A hydraulics #4  
Wow, it'd have to be awfully heavy oil... Sounds more like the pump is deadheading against something. Bypass not working..?? If it got that hot, might be an idea to check the engine oil level, I'm thinking it might be high. If it got hot enough to smoke, thinking it took the pump seal out, and your hydraulic oil is now in the oil pan.

/ Super A hydraulics
Oops, wrong button

/ Super A hydraulics
I was just working on it and the oil in the reservoir was going down, so that's a first, but I'll check the engine oil tomorrow too make sure it's not going in there, because the pump was still getting hot. Thanks for the info, I'll keep you posted. Thanks again

/ Super A hydraulics #7  
I don't mean to be a smart@$$, but you wouldn't be the first guy that left a plug or rag or some other device in a port or line while working on hydraulics. Don't ask me how I know this :) Are you sure oil is flowing to and from the pump and valve? Does it sound normal or like it is cavitating? If you haven't already, crack lines and make sure oil is getting where it needs to.

Good luck with it,
Jim

/ Super A hydraulics
Thanks for the input Jim, but I think DJ54 was right the seal pump is bad, I checked the engine oil today and it had way too much oil in the pan, so I'll have to replace the seal in that before moving on. Thanks for the help