Super c won稚 start

/ Super c won稚 start
I know grounding on these old tractors can be a problem so I scuffed and cleaned the place where the starter bolts/connects to the tractor but that didn't seem to help either. We originally thought it might be the distributor coil which would be an easy fix. Looked up some videos on how to test but thinks the issue is before that point since not turning over.

/ Super c won稚 start
Had battery tested with load at Auto parts store was 12.03 volts at 26%. They charged it to 100% and 12.87 volts so battery is still good but not sure why it was down to 26% with all that I used it the other day at high rpm. I'm going to put battery and starter back on to see if charging the battery did the trick. If that works the next question would be why isn't the generator charging the battery? May need to replace with an alternator?

/ Super c won稚 start #13  
You have a generator and 6v battery??????? 12v genny's are like hens teeth on Farmalls of that vintages. It came 6v from factory. Unless you have a rare 12v genny or had that one rebuilt to 12v there is your battery issue. If you ran 12v battery you may have fried your voltage reg too. You can also overheat the coil and points . A fully charged 12 v battery can run a tractor for days without a charging system. Is it a magneto system on the distributor????? That does not need a battery at all.

/ Super c won稚 start
We did a 12 volt conversion last fall from the original 6 volt system. We replaced battery with new 12 volt from TSC, changed the 6 volt regulator to a 12 volt regulator and polarized it. We kept the original 6 volt coil but added a resistor. Also kept the original generator since it was charging the battery at the time (13+ volts while running).
Clint, I believe we do have a magneto on the distributor but not sure, also not sure what you mean by that not needing a battery. We replaced the points and rotor about 3 years ago prior to battery conversion.
I'm going to put it back together tonight now that the battery has full charge and will continue to eliminate the different variables. Hopefully this works. Thanks

/ Super c won稚 start #15  
I was just thinking....you really don't even need a starter...find/get an SC hand crank...these 123 c/in. engines start very easily with a hand crank...have you thought about this???BobG in VA

/ Super c won稚 start
Good idea. We have not thought about getting a hand crank. We don't have one but could get one. The only issue is that we added suitcase weights and a bracket by the front grill that blocks where the hand crank connects.

/ Super c won稚 start #17  
farmall magneto - Bing - Shopping

Magneto distributors were made to run a tractor without a battery. It produces its own power to run the distributor\coil. The only thing the generator is used for is to run the starter and charge the battery. It is NOT used to power the coil through the battery. It's what they used with the hand crank starter delete tractors, although they were also placed on tractors with starters too. Many farmers in the day wanted the option to run their machine even if the battery was dead because it was just cheaper thsn replacing the battery or not practical to charge it to get it running. Although it is putting out 13 volts it may not be putting out the amps you need. It probably would not be not be an issue in a tractor, but anything with lights or other electric draw it could limit the longevity of the generator . Some of the gennys we somewhat adjustable for voltage.

/ Super c won稚 start
I took the starter to have it tested and he said something didn't look right. The bushing at the open end of the starter was not where it was supposed to be and that likely the spring inside had broken after the 12 volt conversion was done as it throws out the Bendix with 4x the force. Which explains why the flywheel wasn't being engaged. He is going to test, inspect and replace what's needed. Should have it back next week. My next concern is why the battery wasn't being charged was down to (26%) even after all the use the previous day. I re-polarized the regulator/generator but not until after the issue was realized but don't think this is the issue. Not sure about the magneto yet, will ask guy fixing the starter. Thanks.

/ Super c won稚 start
I put the starter on today and it started right up. The starter was the issue but I plan to keep an eye on the battery to make sure the generator is charging otherwise I will replace with an alternator. Thanks again