Super Steer Questions

/ Super Steer Questions
SS isn't able to be engaged/disengaged.
The 4wd lever is below the seat to the left. When the tractor is turned with 4wd engaged there is a "de-clutch" that automatically disengages the 4wd for safety purposes. If you still wish to have 4wd capability while turning,the lever on the pod top must be used to override the "de-clutch".

Do I have you confused yet? :)

Yes, thank you very much:confused2:

So I have to override the default 4wd behavior there is a lever below the seat to the left.

That means the only machine item related to SS would be the FEL moving when the wheels are moved into the "super steer" position, meaning run all the way to the stop in either direction. Is that right?

Also, given the hilly terrain that I have, should my default be to over-ride the "de-clutching" behavior? How might this get me in trouble?

Keith

/ Super Steer Questions #12  
Versatile still uses Supersteer on their tractors. They are the ones who pioneered it. It was part of the complex deal when Versatile was sold off.

/ Super Steer Questions #13  
The supersteer feature and the autoengaging 4wd feature are completely independent. You can force the tractor to stay in 4wd, put it in auto, or prevent the tractor from using 4wd.

The choice between auto and always on is on the left hand handle panel. I put it in alway-on when working on hills, as that allows the front axle to assist in braking the tractor. The auto clutch mechansim is located on the drive shaft between the transmission and the front axle.

To completely disengage the 4wd, there is a pull up handle on the floor on the left of the seat. It disengages a gear in the transmission. I have never used this, though.

NH may package the auto 4wd because of the characteristics of the front axle, but they are really two completely separate things.

Chris

/ Super Steer Questions #15  
RickB said:
Please elaborate. I've not heard that before.

The versatile genesis tractors had it. I'll have to look when I get home, pretty sure it was another Peter Pokash invention.

/ Super Steer Questions #16  
The versatile genesis tractors had it. I'll have to look when I get home, pretty sure it was another Peter Pokash invention.

Versatile and Genesis refer to different tractors, not together as a series or model.
Ford Genesis tractors had the SuperSteer option when introduced in 1993. Versatile branded tractors were all articulated models so far as I know; and when SuperSteer came out, Versatile was part of Ford Motor Company's Tractor Operations, not a spearate brand identity.
Ford Genesis (70 series) tractors were built in the old Versatile factory in Winnepeg but they were not badged as or referred to as Versatiles, at least in the US.

/ Super Steer Questions #17  
The SS design moves the front of the tractor slightly left/right (opposite of the direction of the axle movement) relative to the axle (because the axle is actually moving, not just the wheel hubs). That movement is amplified by the loader. It's a no-cost feature!

I can't speak to your model, but at least for the TN series the auto 4wd/mfd/etc includes 4 wheel oil bath brakes. There may be other features you get with the SS package (it is generally a premier package). Cab models get even more, "D" models (in the TN line at least) are strippers. Little things like the type of quick connect (collarless v collar type), end links that are adjustable, etc.

So research the features difference between the SS and non-SS models.

/ Super Steer Questions #18  
The SS design moves the front of the tractor slightly left/right (opposite of the direction of the axle movement) relative to the axle (because the axle is actually moving, not just the wheel hubs). That movement is amplified by the loader. It's a no-cost feature!

I can't speak to your model, but at least for the TN series the auto 4wd/mfd/etc includes 4 wheel oil bath brakes. There may be other features you get with the SS package (it is generally a premier package). Cab models get even more, "D" models (in the TN line at least) are strippers. Little things like the type of quick connect (collarless v collar type), end links that are adjustable, etc.

So research the features difference between the SS and non-SS models.

I'm not certain who your response is intended for. But New Holland 'D' tractor models are 'Deluxe,' not stripped, and there are no TN's configured for the North American market with 4 wheel wet brakes. SuperSteer equipped tractors engage the 4WD system when both brake pedals are applied providing defacto 4 wheel braking, but the brake assemblies are on the rear axle only.
As it applies to the TN series, Deluxe models are always equipped with cab. S models are always equipped with SuperSteer and may or may not have a cab, and Standard models are open station with either 2DW or MFD non-SuperSteer.