SuperFlex Tire Ballast

/ SuperFlex Tire Ballast
I stopped by the Arnco dealer today and got a whole bunch of literature, including a sample of the rubber and a 50 page book that lists the weight that the process adds to a variety of tire sizes. Nevertheless, many tire sizes are not listed, including the size of my fronts. So we interpolated and estimated a weight of 65 lbs. for each of my front tires. He quoted $1.25 per pound. He had quoted about $1.12 per pound for my rears over the phone the other week.

He cautioned me that some tire shops may be cheaper because they reuse chopped up foam instead of the pure Arnco mixture. As part of the process, they also pressurize the tires to the recommended pressures.

The chart says 267 lbs for my rear R4. Had I gotten turfs, which are bigger on the 2910, I could have added 302 lbs per tire according to the chart.

If anyone wants me to look up a tire, post it and I'll see if its listed.

/ SuperFlex Tire Ballast
No. But 26x8.50-14 is 73 lbs. That's the one we estimated my 23 inchers from.

/ SuperFlex Tire Ballast
I am repeating below an analysis I gave in the thread called "Filled Tires?":

<font color=blue>John, I am currently considering Arnco Superflex filling for my fronts, and I was at one of the oldest tire dealers in CT the other day discussing foam and liquid fill processes. In the process, I picked up the Goodyear Farm Tire Handbook (which is also available online). From these sources and these forums, I see five questions related to hydroinflation.

1. How much weight does it add? Mixed at 3.5 lbs per gallon of water, Ca adds 20% more weight than the water alone. Mixed at 5 lbs. per gallon, it adds 28% more weight. I dont know whether antifreeze adds any additional weight at all. For a 75% hydrofill in the 15x19.5 R4 rear tires on a TC33, the Goodyear charts give the following weights per tire: water alone, 240 lbs; Ca, 294 or 320 lbs, depending on the mixture strength.

2. Does Ca hurt the rim while it is in the tire? Goodyear says: "Either tube-type or tubeless tires may be filled with calcium chloride solution. Rim corrosion is not a problem with tubeless tires as long as the tire is always kept inflated. This keeps the outside air sealed away from the rim and restrains corrosion."

3. What happens to the rim if the tire leaks? Goodyear says: "A rim used tubeless with calcium chloride solution must be rinsed with tap water immediately after dismounting to prevent extremely rapid corrosion." I used a tube with my Ca so I could voluntarily add or remove the solution without worrying about it touching my rims. As to involuntary leaks, whether tubed or tubeless, I guess you have to detect it right away and take quick steps to wash the rim. This may not be practical in a field situation, and would not be an issue with antifreeze.

4. What is the liklihood of getting a leak or flat? Depends. Certainly is more likely with a turf tire than an R4. It's a lot more likely on the fronts than the rears. It would be a lot more likely on a construction site (nails) than on a lawn. It is more likely in thorny brush field than in a grass field. I concluded that, for the Ca weight gain in my R4 rears, the flat risk was worth taking.

5. What happens to the environment in the event of a spill? My understanding is that Ca will burn vegetation but, as a salt, is completely biodegradable. My further understanding is that antifreeze is not biodegradable, and that it can kill, although not burn, vegetation.

The ultimate solution is the Arnco Superflex filling. This would add 370 lbs to each of your rears, prevents flats, cant leak, keeps your tire always at proper inflation pressure, absorbs shock, and supposedly rides just like air. If you have to ask what it costs, you cant afford it.
</font color=blue>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by glennmac on 08/12/01 02:07 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

/ SuperFlex Tire Ballast
Matthew, nothing with a 355 or an 80D in a 20" rim size listed. What kind of tire is that? What is D?

/ SuperFlex Tire Ballast #17  
It's the factory standard equipment turf tire for the rear of my JD 870. It's a Bridgestone tire with a shallow, non-directional chevron lug tread. If I interpret the numbers correctly it's 14 inches wide and 11 inches high. I imagine that it can hold a whole lot more ballast than the standard ag tires for this tractor.

I have no idea what the "D" is for.

Matthew