Supertech Synthetic Oil

/ Supertech Synthetic Oil #1  

klm

Silver Member
Tractor
Allis D17 CIH D40, JD5310, Massimo MS50010
While checking out the oil shelves at local Walmart I found way up on the top shelf in five quart size, Supertech 100% full synthetic oil in 5W-30 and 10W30, the colors were like Mobil1(silver-gray), the price was $11.00 and change. Anybody tried this?

/ Supertech Synthetic Oil #2  
I've used the supertech dino oil in my JD-B with no problems.. hadn't seen their synth oil.. price sounds good though..

Could use it like it was regular oil almost.. and get the lubrication benefits of a better oil.. but not make the engine live with the suspended contaminates during an 'extended' change interval.. like most synthetics offer.

Soundguy

/ Supertech Synthetic Oil #3  
FYI there has been some controversy over what is synthetic and what is not. Mobile1 is a real synthetic oil, whereas Supertech "100% synthetic" is petroleum oil that has undergone enough chemical changes to be labled as synthetic. In reality it is a hydro-cracked petroleum. Unfortunately the courts have allowed the labeling of hydr-cracked oils as synthetic. Mobile1, Amsoil, Red Line, etc... are truly synthetic fluids from the ground up.
Not to say Supertech is not a quality oil, as I have no direct experience with it. It is only 100% synthetc in the courts opinion - The reality is otherwise.

/ Supertech Synthetic Oil #4  
Does anyone know if Shell Rotella T Synthetic is hydro-cracked or 100% synthetic?

/ Supertech Synthetic Oil #5  
I believe that I read it was a reengineered petroleum based "synthetic". I cannot remember where I read it or for sure that I did. I do know that the Wal Marts here no longer have any and that it is not in any other store I have been in. Wal Mart and a few other places do have the new Mobil 1 Truck/SUV/Diesel oil but so far it has not come out in the big 5 quart jugs. When it does it will likely be in the 20 dollar or so range. I have a couple of gallon jugs of the Rotella Syn I bought on a lark but essentially I don't know what it is and don't like oil that comes and goes so I ain't gonna use it. J

/ Supertech Synthetic Oil #6  
The Shell product page uses marketing terminology like 'fully synthetic' and 'Shell synthetic base oil technology'. I seem to remember the MSDS classifies it as a petroleum product. The MSDS link is at the bottom of the product page and it does not seem to work at the moment. It sure is not priced like 100% synthetic base stock - makes you wonder. Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5W-40

/ Supertech Synthetic Oil
You would think that by now their would be a web site that would have an absolutely positivity super testing and rating system. I suppose the liability thing comes into play.

/ Supertech Synthetic Oil #8  
<font color="blue">Does anyone know if Shell Rotella T Synthetic is hydro-cracked or 100% synthetic?</font>
It is hydro-cracked.

/ Supertech Synthetic Oil #9  
Most of the oils I have seen that are not 100% synthetic call themselves synthetic blends. I dont know of any oils that try to claim being 100% if they're not. I'm an Amsoil man so I dont sweat the small stuff.

/ Supertech Synthetic Oil #10  
This forum and this thread in particular, have been great for letting the light shine on whose oils are really synthetic, and whose are only "legally synthetic." Thanks a bunch.
Does anyone know if Royal Purple is a true or legal synthetic?
Royal Purple
Also, does Schaeffer make a full true synthetic motor oil?
And finally (hope this doesn't open a big can of worms), does anyone still recommend using Moly (molybdenum sulfide) as an additive to either crankcase or hydraulic oils?
Thanks again.