surface rust - how to clean

/ surface rust - how to clean #12  
Depending on how rusty it is, chrome polish might take off the rust without doing much additional surface scratching.

/ surface rust - how to clean #13  
Phosphoric acid?:D

I'm getting lazy --- This from Wiki

Rust removal

Phosphoric acid may be used by direct application to rusted iron, steel tools, or surfaces to convert iron(III) oxide (rust) to a water-soluble phosphate compound. It is usually available as a greenish liquid, suitable for dipping (acid bath), but is more generally used as a component in a gel, commonly called naval jelly. As a thick gel, it may be applied to sloping, vertical, or even overhead surfaces. Care must be taken to avoid acid burns of the skin and especially the eyes, but the residue is easily diluted with water. When sufficiently diluted, it can even be nutritious to plant life, containing the essential nutrients phosphorus and iron. It is sometimes sold under other names, such as "rust remover" or "rust killer." It should not be directly introduced into surface water such as creeks or into drains, however. After treatment, the reddish-brown iron oxide will be converted to a black iron phosphate compound coating that may be scrubbed off. Multiple applications of phosphoric acid may be required to remove all rust. The resultant black compound can provide further corrosion resistance (such protection is somewhat provided by the superficially similar Parkerizing and blued electrochemical conversion coating processes). After application and removal of rust using phosphoric acid compounds, the metal should be oiled (if to be used bare, as in a tool) or appropriately painted, by using a multiple coat process of primer, intermediate, and finish coats.

/ surface rust - how to clean #14  
Google "gibbs brand". I have been using this stuff for about a year now. I am a believer.

For what you want to do, I would use fine (400 or finer) wet or dry sandpaper lubricated with Gibbs Brand. It would flush the rust away as the sandpaper removed it (just like water as you sand paint), and would leave its protection behind when you are finished.
jp

/ surface rust - how to clean #15  
After I got the rust off mine I decided to spray the exposed ends with "white grease" when stored and problem ended.

I used chrome polish to remove the light rust I had.

/ surface rust - how to clean #17  
green scrubbing pad and liquid wrench (or other penetrating oil) - because WD-40 dries to a gummy laquer like finish and phosphoric acid needs to be neutralized or it can etch the surface.
after cleaning up the cylinder, give it a coat of paste wax or car polish to seal the surface so it doesn't rust up as fast the next time. (this works good for table saws, too)

/ surface rust - how to clean #18  
I would go with a 4-4 1/2" grinder with a cotton buffing wheel and white polishing compound. Then work my way up with the abrasives if need be.

/ surface rust - how to clean #19  
Brillo soap pads. You will be amazed. The steel wool wont scratch the chrome, and the soap and water emulsifies the rust.
larry