Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice.

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #1  

milkman636

Veteran Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT335 + John Deere 1023e (former owner of Kubota BX2370-1, John Deere 5210, and Ford 2000)
A while back I was tired of my Kubota BX2370 and sold it. There were a couple things about it that were aggravating so it was time to go. Several months have passed since then and I have missed having a little tractor around. My wife apparently heard about it enough. The other day she sent me a listing for a used 1023e with 175 hours on it and located only 5 miles from our house. She even went as far as contacting the seller and getting us first in line to look at it. So off we went to look. My wife even went with me. It was real clean and looked legit, and was priced basically the same as what I got out of the Kubota. So about three hours later it was back home at my house and tucked safely in the barn. I’ve honestly not researched these at all. But, when the wife says to buy the tractor, I buy the tractor. So, what are the quirks? What do I need to know about these things?

Attachments

• 65705262832__EE0D8C05-BE3E-4DCA-A640-DDDBEB15F457.JPG
    65705262832__EE0D8C05-BE3E-4DCA-A640-DDDBEB15F457.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 232
  • IMG_3997.JPG
    IMG_3997.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 226
Last edited:
   / Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #2  
Check out Tractor Time with Tim on Youtube. Great little machine, enjoy.

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice.
Thanks for the suggestion. I watched a few episodes of him doing different things with his little tractor. He’s got a lot of videos and I’ll have to search through a little more this eeek to see if he goes into specifics about the little tractor.

This tractor needs an oil change immediately, and I’m getting a complete Deere filter kit and oils today. I’d really like to hear from some 10 series owners out there about what types of things you may have found that needed to be addressed in the first 200 hours. While I’m changing filters and fluids, what else should I be on the lookout for?

I’m also curious to find out if I can mount a front blade on this thing with the mower auto connect thing on? Can both mounting assemblies co-exist?

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #4  
Congrats on the new tractor!
But, when the wife says to buy the tractor, I buy the tractor. So, what are the quirks? What do I need to know about these things?
More importantly, congrats on having a supportive spouse! Your wife's actions speak volumes about y'all's relationship!

Wish I could help with the new tractor, but I'm a BX owner myself. If you don't mind, I'm genuinely curious what things were aggravating you about the BX? I enjoy mine, but the only thing I truly regret is not pulling the trigger on Bx or B series TLB.

In any case enjoy the new equipment!

Congrats on the new tractor!

More importantly, congrats on having a supportive spouse! Your wife's actions speak volumes about y'all's relationship!

Wish I could help with the new tractor, but I'm a BX owner myself. If you don't mind, I'm genuinely curious what things were aggravating you about the BX? I enjoy mine, but the only thing I truly regret is not pulling the trigger on Bx or B series TLB.

In any case enjoy the new equipment!

When it comes to the BX I was a happy owner, overall. But the biggest thing about it I disliked was taking the deck on and off. There were some other smaller items I thought could be improved upon too. But my BX developed a vibration while the mid pto and mower were in use. I chased it around with no luck, which involved several removals of the deck. So, I got a little fed up and sold it. Since I bought it used, I was fortunate enough to sell it for a small profit. The new owner wanted it for stuff other than mowing, so it worked out for everyone.

It was my grass cutter, so I picked up a rider with a 54” deck to mow with. That is not as fast and doesn’t cut as good as the BX. Mowing this year took more time and fuel. I also lost the handiness of having a small loader around. And I have a small trailer that I towed behind the BX that’s a little too much for the rider. So I really missed having the BX this past summer. It was overall a very good machine and handy to have around.

My wife took it upon herself to help fix this for me. She really is the best. I can’t begin to give her enough credit for making life better. My advice to any guy looking to marry is to find a woman that genuinely wants to make you happy, marry her and try your best to do the same for her. If you’re both trying to make the other’s life better you can’t go wrong.

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #6  
So far the only thing that is a PIA for me on my 1025R, which is the same tractor, is the primary fuel filter. It is located under the left floor board at the base of the fuel tank, there is NO shutoff in the line, so when you remove the filter you have the full flow of anything in the tank pouring out. And there really is not enough room to get anything in there to pinch the line and still get the filter off. The first time is when I learned about there being no shutoff, the second time I changed the primary filter I put in an in-line fuel valve.

Also, I would change the hydraulics, the manual calls for the first change @ 200 hours, I changed mine at 50 because I want to get any metal from wear in and debris from assembly out, good thing to, there was a lot of stuff on the screen from when it was assembled.

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #7  
Nice find, I own a JD 2025r and owned a BX 2350 for 10 years before that. I think yours is an older Yanmar made JD, which isn’t a bad thing. The H120 loader is a little bit stronger than what the newer ones have. The bucket is so much bigger than what your BX had and you will like that. The JD quick attach system for the bucket is really simple and you might want to pick up a set of forks.

One quirk is greasing the driveshafts. Kubota doesn’t have zerks on the driveshafts but JD does. There is one at the front that often doesn‘t get done. This can then fail and cause damage. Yours is such low hours it shouldn’t be a problem.

On yours, to grease this tough to reach zerk, I think you can remove a panel down by your feet to access it. There are all sorts of posts on the JD forums on the best way to do it. Some manuals apparently didn’t even show them needing to be greased.

Great find and enjoy.

/ Surprise 1023e owner looking for advice. #8  
When it comes to the BX I was a happy owner, overall. But the biggest thing about it I disliked was taking the deck on and off. There were some other smaller items I thought could be improved upon too. But my BX developed a vibration while the mid pto and mower were in use. I chased it around with no luck, which involved several removals of the deck. So, I got a little fed up and sold it. Since I bought it used, I was fortunate enough to sell it for a small profit. The new owner wanted it for stuff other than mowing, so it worked out for everyone.

It was my grass cutter, so I picked up a rider with a 54” deck to mow with. That is not as fast and doesn’t cut as good as the BX. Mowing this year took more time and fuel. I also lost the handiness of having a small loader around. And I have a small trailer that I towed behind the BX that’s a little too much for the rider. So I really missed having the BX this past summer. It was overall a very good machine and handy to have around.

My wife took it upon herself to help fix this for me. She really is the best. I can’t begin to give her enough credit for making life better. My advice to any guy looking to marry is to find a woman that genuinely wants to make you happy, marry her and try your best to do the same for her. If you’re both trying to make the other’s life better you can’t go wrong.
What you're saying entirely makes sense... about a year ago my oldest (12 at the time) started bugging me about getting a go-kart... which given a our property was entirely a non-starter. Ended up buying him "his own zero turn" with the idea that he could mow the yard for spending money. He's happier than a clam in mud mowing and the mid-mount has been taking up space in the shop ever since.

Frankly, I have absolutely no plan to return to mowing with the tractor, unless something catastrophic happens. If that happens I'll be getting a rear finish. The zero turn should be paid off shortly and I've been seriously thinking about re-selling the mid-mount mower in an effort to gradually fund a grapple for the bx as it is just taking up space.

Again... my sincere congrats on the new tractor!!

So far the only thing that is a PIA for me on my 1025R, which is the same tractor, is the primary fuel filter. It is located under the left floor board at the base of the fuel tank, there is NO shutoff in the line, so when you remove the filter you have the full flow of anything in the tank pouring out. And there really is not enough room to get anything in there to pinch the line and still get the filter off. The first time is when I learned about there being no shutoff, the second time I changed the primary filter I put in an in-line fuel valve.

Also, I would change the hydraulics, the manual calls for the first change @ 200 hours, I changed mine at 50 because I want to get any metal from wear in and debris from assembly out, good thing to, there was a lot of stuff on the screen from when it was assembled.
Than you John, that was very helpful information about the fuel filters. I ended up getting a complete filter kit from the dealer today with both fuel filters, an air filter, engine oil, and hydraulic filter in it.. I also picked up enough hy-gard to do the hydro oil. Tomorrow I'll shop for a valve for that fuel line.

Nice find, I own a JD 2025r and owned a BX 2350 for 10 years before that. I think yours is an older Yanmar made JD, which isn’t a bad thing. The H120 loader is a little bit stronger than what the newer ones have. The bucket is so much bigger than what your BX had and you will like that. The JD quick attach system for the bucket is really simple and you might want to pick up a set of forks.

One quirk is greasing the driveshafts. Kubota doesn’t have zerks on the driveshafts but JD does. There is one at the front that often doesn‘t get done. This can then fail and cause damage. Yours is such low hours it shouldn’t be a problem.

On yours, to grease this tough to reach zerk, I think you can remove a panel down by your feet to access it. There are all sorts of posts on the JD forums on the best way to do it. Some manuals apparently didn’t even show them needing to be greased.

Great find and enjoy.
Thanks Dodge. That's helpful too. There's a possibility that I would not have checked that pto shaft too close since the autoconnect seems like it will make the process more hands-off..

It's a 2014 model tractor, and after doing some more research it seems that I am fortunate with options on this one. I didn't know there were two versions of the loader. I also found that the electro-hydraulic deck lift it has is an extra option. And it also has the more deluxe version of the auto-connect that does the shaft too. I didn't realize there were two versions of that either. I'm even more pleased with this find now.