Tires Swapping Rear Tires Side to Side

/ Swapping Rear Tires Side to Side #11  
Based on the tire size of 17.5x24 rear tire and filled with 75% water, the weight is about 450 lbs/tire. If using calcium chloride the weight is near 650-700 lbs. You need to rethink how you are going to handle that weight. This is not a job for couple of novices. If you have to, take it somewhere and pay them to swap the tires.

/ Swapping Rear Tires Side to Side #12  
Based on the tire size of 17.5x24 rear tire and filled with 75% water, the weight is about 450 lbs/tire. If using calcium chloride the weight is near 650-700 lbs. You need to rethink how you are going to handle that weight. This is not a job for couple of novices. If you have to, take it somewhere and pay them to swap the tires.

Well you scared me, I didn't realize a small CUT's loaded tires could weigh that much!

I would still do it myself, but would not recommend it to someone else who doesn't have complete confidence in their ability to control/balance such weight manually. Or the reflexes and experience to know when you've lost control and let it go, and get the heck out of the way :eek:

Probably safer to do it outside where it would be less confined (no space constraints). And if you had another tractor you could maneuver around using the 3 pt's lift ability to help.

/ Swapping Rear Tires Side to Side #13  
I was thinking of getting rear tire chains and swapping tires side to side as well or was also thinking of going with tire chains on the front only to see how much it helps. I put vbar chains on my 4wd ATV front tires and it made a world of difference with being able to hold/steer ATV while plowing snow. Anyone got any experience with chains on the front only of MFWD R4 tractor? Sorry for the hijack but was also wondering how much of a job it is to swap rears? I have the same setup as you but also with rear weights to wrestle as well! :eek:

/ Swapping Rear Tires Side to Side #14  
Since I am new to this kinda thing, I'll ask your forgivness in advance if this is not what you are asking. I just finished increasing the width of my 4520 and all I did was unbolt the wheel from the rim and switch sides with the rims/tires. I did a lot of head scratching and this seemed to be the best solo approach since I did not have to remove the hubs. Actually gained about 10" total in width, if you like I could give you an exact measurment of the finished product. It changed the whole handling attitude of my 4520 after the widening. I won't bore you with the details unless this approach is something that you would like to try, just let me know and good luck with whatever you do....Jim

Actually should have said, "unbolted the rim & tire from the center hub/wheel and I am calling the center hub, the thing with the weights mounted to it." In doing this I did not have to remove any wheel weights.
It made a lot of sense to me when I read it before hitting 'Submit Reply', when reading it the next day, it made no sense.........sorry for the confusion.

/ Swapping Rear Tires Side to Side
Success! I ended up swapping the tires side-to-side in the snow-covered dooryard in front of the barn. My neighbor brought his tractor over and we stood around discussing the pros and cons of various methods. Finally, we just jacked it up and unbolted the wheels from the axels, one at a time.

With the help of a long prybar we got them off and found it pretty manageable to (slowly) roll the tires to the opposite side. Jockeyed them into position and with the prybar again found it fairly easy to align the bolts. The whole process took maybe an hour and a half. Some of that time was standing and looking and scratching our chins, but overall I think we did pretty well. We preferred slow and safe to anything else.

Thanks to everyone who responded. The various opinions of how to proceed have all matched my own at one point or another and helped me to finally get it done safely and relatively easily.

With the new clearance in the back (almost 4 inches on each side!), my chains are on and it makes a huge difference in traction. I am ready now! Thanks again.

Tim

Last edited:
   / Swapping Rear Tires Side to Side #16  
Success! I ended up swapping the tires side-to-side in the snow-covered dooryard in front of the barn. My neighbor brought his tractor over and we stood around discussing the pros and cons of various methods. Finally, we just jacked it up and unbolted the wheels from the axels, one at a time.
Tim

Glad it worked out and to hear back from you, I've been anxiously watching this thread, getting worried you were trapped out in the barn with a heavy tire on on your leg :eek:

Slow and steady always wins.

jb

/ Swapping Rear Tires Side to Side
Another follow up after widening the stance and adding chains. The wider wheel base has made an enormous difference in stability. Most of my property in on a slope and before widening the wheels I had some serious clenching moments. Now it's a whole new ballgame. With the new chains we were able to make a road into the woods for cutting and hauling the Pine we've been harvesting for about a month. Even when we had snow, there was virtually no place the tractor wouldn't go.

Here's a shot from earlier in the project and one showing the current progress. We're primarily cutting timbers for a timber frame building and the sawmill can handle a 24 foot log without turning it. But we need 3, 26-footers and the mill operator was some impressed that the 4120 could pick the entire log to place it on the mill. Pretty impressive performance for a compact.

Attachments

• Mill-DayOne_A.jpg
    Mill-DayOne_A.jpg
    283.3 KB · Views: 145
  • timber.jpg
    timber.jpg
    271.1 KB · Views: 123
Last edited: