"swapping spit" with hydraulic rental equipment.

/ "swapping spit" with hydraulic rental equipment. #1  

TruckinFool

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 860, M7040
Sorry guys, feel like I've been asking a lot lately but I'm waiting on my backordered kubota 3rd function kit and plan to use it with rental post hole augers etc. Where is the filter in relation to the take offs? Do I run the risk of contaminating my circuits with metal etc if it was run on a skidsteer with blown drive motor or who knows fluid type, condition etc?

/ "swapping spit" with hydraulic rental equipment. #2  
Hydraulic expert here:.. Ha ha. But this is what I think.. within the first second or so the entire contents of the tool you rented is dumped into the tank, in other words your tractors transmission. The hydraulic filter operates on the suction side, so it sucks from the tank before it gets to your pump. If you are concerned about it, you could hook up one hose to one of your remotes and apply fluid flow to that remote outlet with your SCV and have the return hose, with a female AG connector put on it and dumped into a 5 gallon bucket. open the valve on the SCV for a second or two and let what ever the amount of fluid you think is in the tool out into the 5 gallon bucket. Dispose of this fluid, and refill your tank with an equal amount of nice new fluid. You should be good to go that way.. (this advice is worth what you paid for it:))

James K0UA

/ "swapping spit" with hydraulic rental equipment.
Genius. .. so simple yet right over my head. Haha thanks

/ "swapping spit" with hydraulic rental equipment. #4  
Generally there is a return filter before the oil returns to tank, however all the valves, lines and fittings between the implement and the tank will "see" the residual oil in the implement. On the inlet line to your pump there is a fine mesh screen that protects your pump from large particles being sucked into the inlet. Usually the amount of shared oil is not significant compared to the gallons in the hydraulic tank. One of the chances you take with rented equipment I guess. Unless the last user had a severely contaminated system I wouldn't worry too much.

If you were really concerned with the oil you could disconnect the return side of the implement and flush the oil into a bucket before you connect it to your system.