Grapple Sway my grapple decision. Homestead/CTA

/ Sway my grapple decision. Homestead/CTA #1  

CFar45

Tractor
Kubota LX3310, ZD21
Sorry for the long post….

I’ve intended to get a grapple for my Kubota LX3310 since day one, and have searched the options extensively. Only reason I haven’t purchased is “paralysis by analysis”. Just can’t decide.

I know the “rake” style grapples are very popular among CUT owners with generally lighter weight and increased dump clearance. However, I feel that the “scoop” type grapples (with longer, horizontal bottom tines) are better suited to my purpose. Granted, this is the only style of grapple I have experience operating.

90% of usage will be gathering/moving/loading brush piles (tree tops, grape vines, dead fall, etc.), moving logs and firewood. Maybe occasional rock moving. I’m sure I’ll find other uses. I don’t envision much need for digging into the ground to dig out roots, rocks, etc.

I’ve looked at many brands to include EA, precision mfg, vernig, RK, etc. I know the EA wicked rakes are very popular, and I think I understand why, but I just don’t think they best suit my purpose.
If I did end up with a rake style grapple, I think I’d like one with longer, more curved/forward pointing tines to slide along the ground rather than dig into the ground. I seem to have more occasion where I’d like not to disrupt the ground while picking things up. In fact, I’ve been “getting along” pretty well with forks for a year or so, but it’s time to get a proper grapple. (Not interested in adding a grapple to forks)

So, I’ve narrowed down to these two choices:
Homestead implements precision root grapple (55”/302#)
And:
CTA extreme grapple (50”/210#)

At this point I’m leaning toward CTA. Before I pull the trigger…

My questions for the field are:
1. Considering the above, is there anything I’m missing that the “rake” style grapple will do that the “scoop” type won’t??

2. Considering these two choices, is there any major dis/advantages to either one for my purpose that I may have overlooked?

3. To Anyone with experience with these specific grapples: what do you love/wish were different about them?

Talk me into/out of one of these options.

Thanks all. I appreciate your informed opinions.

/ Sway my grapple decision. Homestead/CTA #2  
I think your decision on "types" is valid. I choose a rock/root grapple. I have little to no brush. My land is all open stands of Ponderosa pine and fields of bunch grass. Either grapple would function, for you, well.

Consider this - do something like I've done - BEFORE - you add a grapple. Sticks, stobs and limbs have a nasty way of finding your grill, radiator and battery. Expanded metal added to my OEM grill guard.
IMG_0011.jpeg
IMG_0016.jpeg

/ Sway my grapple decision. Homestead/CTA #3  
If you keep your load low( knuckle dragging) you can move remarkable objects. The rocks - 2400 to 2600 pounds. The chunk of pine trunk weighed 2400 pounds when I moved it( it was green). Just be VERY CERTAIN of your path and keep it LOW. I have, on occasion, moved both rocks and logs weighing over 3000 pounds.

Just keep any load within the limits set by your FEL weight charts. Load distance forward of the pivot pins and distance off the ground.
IMG_0206.jpeg
IMG_0208.jpeg
IMG_0006.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Sway my grapple decision. Homestead/CTA
I think your decision on "types" is valid. I choose a rock/root grapple. I have little to no brush. My land is all open stands of Ponderosa pine and fields of bunch grass. Either grapple would function, for you, well.

Consider this - do something like I've done - BEFORE - you add a grapple. Sticks, stobs and limbs have a nasty way of finding your grill, radiator and battery. Expanded metal added to my OEM grill guard.
View attachment 738783View attachment 738784
Great point. I have a nice grill guard all lined up. (y)

/ Sway my grapple decision. Homestead/CTA #5  
CFar45 said:

The grapple you listed is for John Deere, you don't have a tractor listed in your profile but state you have a Kubota LX3310; that company doesn't make a 50" SSQA.

Did I miss anything?

Last edited:
   / Sway my grapple decision. Homestead/CTA #6  
I move lots of trees and brush and prefer the long bottom.
If you carry firewood the long bottom has better place to stack. A grapple full fills my in-house wood rack.
Like how the round cross bar controls the depth of rake to manage ground disturbance. Better landscape maintenance tool.

Can also carry posts, used to carry chainsaw and gas or long tools easier.

Any grapple is better than no grapple.
IMG_2017.JPG

/ Sway my grapple decision. Homestead/CTA #7  
CFar45 said:

The grapple you listed is for John Deere, you don't have a tractor listed in your profile but state you have a Kubota LX3310; that company doesn't make a 50" SSQA.

Did I miss anything?
They do make a SSQA 50” grapple. It’s listed on their site and I’ve been in contact with them about it. But…The 50” SSQA link on their web page brings you to their JD 50” info. Sorry for the confusion.
CTA Grapples

Another consideration for the more 'hybrid' type is the Granite Grapple (pdf) sold at RK. I bought the 60" one last year and so far its held up great clearing, piling and back dragging.

Great call Midniteoyl. I actually really like the design of the RK 60” grapple and it was my top choice at one point, but the weight scared me away. With a small tractor (LX3310) I’m really trying to be weight conscious.

Can I ask what you run yours on and how you’ve found the weight to be?

I considered the RK 54” as a lighter optionbut really much preferred the design of the 60”. I contacted the manufacturer who sent some additional specs and diagrams of 54” vs 60”, which only confirmed that I wasn’t so interested in the 54, but still liked the 60.

Another consideration for the more 'hybrid' type is the Granite Grapple (pdf) sold at RK. I bought the 60" one last year and so far its held up great clearing, piling and back dragging.

Great call Midniteoyl. I actually really like the design of the RK 60” grapple and it was my top choice at one point, but the weight scared me away. With a small tractor (LX3310) I’m really trying to be weight conscious.

Can I ask what you run yours on and how you’ve found the weight to be?

I considered the RK 54” as a lighter optionbut really much preferred the design of the 60”. I contacted the manufacturer who sent some additional specs and diagrams of 54” vs 60”, which only confirmed that I wasn’t so interested in the 54, but still liked the 60.
Darn it!! Now I’m reconsidering the RK 54”…. This is my problem….