Sweet corn planting ??

/ Sweet corn planting ??
Thanks for all of the good information.coobie

/ Sweet corn planting ?? #12  
I put out 4 50' rows, spaced about 36" apart. I space the kernels about 12" apart within the rows. I repeat this every 3-4 weeks, starting in mid-April. I move the corn around within the garden each year and have pretty good results.

/ Sweet corn planting ?? #13  
Corn is pretty N intensive and I plant intensively.

Because of the spacing of my wheels and that we flood irrigate I plant corn in 'double rows' or whatever you want to call it. Basically a raised bed about 2 feet wide. I put two rows of corn down each bed with about 15" or less between the corn. About 12" furrows on each side. This (barely) gives me room to walk down the furrows and get to each side of the corn. Almost works out to 15" spacing of rows and the tightness seems to help keep the weeds down. Seeds are about 8" apart.

I use an Earthway seeder and also use it to fertilize. I plant the two rows of corn and then I put in the Beet plate (or whatever one looks about right for the fertilizer granules) and lay a strip of fertilizer right down the middle between of the rows of seed.

I follow the 'side dress' advice of applying fertilizer when it is 8" high and again when it is 18" high. Supposed to be 2" over and 2" down but I end up more like 6" over and 2" down. I just use the Earthway again for the side dressing and go right down between the corn. I think with flood irrigating it migrates anyway and seems to work fine.

I have gone with 16-16-16 at planting then 46-0-0 for the side-dressing but last year I used 46-0-0 for all three and got the same results. Keep it wet when it is at the 'kernel fill' stage.

Basic lab soil tests here start at $38 to $42 so I don't even bother to send it out. I have done some testing with the home test kits but those really don't help all that much (other than determining your PH)