Switch for snowblower chute control

/ Switch for snowblower chute control #12  
Thanks for the links guys. Looking at this I realized a 4 pole double throw is NOT what I need. I'm looking to combine four functions into a single switch, like a toggle joystick. So I can have up/down and left/right available on the same switch by moving the switch in any of four directions.

Now I'm not sure exactly what I need. I'm thinking I need perhaps 6 poles. Two poles for voltage input (12v hot and ground). Then another 4 poles for control of each of the two motors. Am I on the right track with this? :confused2:

You are not going to find this type of operation in a standard toggle. Either go with a joystick as others have suggested or seperate switches.

/ Switch for snowblower chute control
You are not going to find this type of operation in a standard toggle. Either go with a joystick as others have suggested or seperate switches.

Yep, you are right. That is the conclusion I am comming to. I'm going to go with a seperate DPDT switch. If I get into a joystick and relays I'm getting close to the cost of the linear actuator (just for control function) and I don't feel like making this more of a project than it needs to be.

Second switch it is. Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the replies and info. TBN is great. When when someone has a question, Bam! folks step up to the plate and help out. Awsome!

/ Switch for snowblower chute control #14  
What about going with a retro joystick from a video game? Would have to hook up some relays to increase current ratings, but if they had 4 micro switches mounted in the base it should work. You could also look at the joystick from a honda 928 snowblower. I have this blower and it uses a joystick form the chute and damper. or maybe this?
Joystick 4-way toggle switch, Industrial/Medical UNUSED - eBay (item 280631341427 end time Feb-23-11 14:42:29 PST)

Brilliant. I wanted to build a joystick control for my hydraulic chute control, but couldn't find one that fit my application.

JayC

/ Switch for snowblower chute control #15  
What about going with a retro joystick from a video game? Would have to hook up some relays to increase current ratings, but if they had 4 micro switches mounted in the base it should work. You could also look at the joystick from a honda 928 snowblower. I have this blower and it uses a joystick form the chute and damper. or maybe this?
Joystick 4-way toggle switch, Industrial/Medical UNUSED - eBay (item 280631341427 end time Feb-23-11 14:42:29 PST)

This switch is NC. Make sure that will work for you...

Like you said most video games are very low current, think ~10 mA. So you would need a relay for sure, perhaps a relay for the relay :D I looked into a joystick to run a plow and was for the most part let down at what I could find; either very low amperage rating or HIGH $$$. This was the 'best' thing I found JOYSTICK 1000 MICROSWITCH 6A - 1D27F1500 It handles 6 A and $60, comes with a rubber boot for the joystick but I am not sure how weather proof it would be.
Chad

/ Switch for snowblower chute control #16  
I'd just go with two DPDT center off toggle switches OR two winch controller pushbutton pendants such as a Ramsey or Warn remote. They are weather proof but quite a bit more money than a normal McGill toggle.
I've always found that its easier to just replace a standard switch when it starts to act up. Keep it sprayed with penetrating oil and it will last for years even out in the weather, as long as it has enough capacity for the load.(and doesn't get salted)