Switch from Amsoil Diesel to Rotella T-6 or T-5??

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Switch from Amsoil Diesel to Rotella T-6 or T-5?? #1  

Coyote machine

Tractor
22 SANY SY 50U, '10 Kioti DK 40se/hst KL-401 FEL, loaded tires, KB-2485 bhoe, Tuffline TB160 BB, Woods QA forks, MIE Hydraulic bhoe thumb & ripper tooth, Igland 4001 winch, & GR-20 Log Grapple. Woods BBX72" Brush Mower. Diamondplate aluminum canopy
Have been using Amsoil 15-40 100% synthetic Diesel Oil in my Kioti DK-40, 4 cylinder diesel engine. For the upcoming oil change I'm considering switching to one of the Rotellas but don't know which one would be best for my climate, and whether I could finish up the remaining Amsoil by adding it to some Rotella during the changeover?
I'm in VT where it goes from very cold to very hot, (not like Arizona or a place like that), but hot enough for New England.

So those of you who have been using Rotella oils please chime in as to what you would do if you were me.
And can someone say if the Rotella oil is 100% synthetic like the Amsoil or is it a partially blended synthetic? What API ratings do the T-5 & T-6 have? (I forgot to look on the jug at TSC earlier today).
Kioti's owner's manual specs: API Class: CC or CD and at above 77degrees F, SAE 30, 10-30, or 10-40., below 32F, SAE 10W, 10-30, or 10-40.
Which of the two, T-5 or T-6 I mentioned would you recommend, and why?

Thanks a ton!:thumbsup:

/ Switch from Amsoil Diesel to Rotella T-6 or T-5?? #2  
I have 3 gallons of T6 in my Dodge. No idea how good it is as it is the first oil change since I got the truck. I have Rotella something in the John Deere 870. About time to change again. I think the T6 is $3-4 less than the Mobil truck and SUV product. I am more interested in how well stuff flows when cold than some manufacturers claim of superiority. All that is confusing anyway.

Here is a site that may explain some things. I thought I saw a post that he was going to run some T6 at his next oil change. - Bob is the Oil Guy

Shell Rotella® Products | Shell Rotella

/ Switch from Amsoil Diesel to Rotella T-6 or T-5??
I have 3 gallons of T6 in my Dodge. No idea how good it is as it is the first oil change since I got the truck. I have Rotella something in the John Deere 870. About time to change again. I think the T6 is $3-4 less than the Mobil truck and SUV product. I am more interested in how well stuff flows when cold than some manufacturers claim of superiority. All that is confusing anyway.

Here is a site that may explain some things. I thought I saw a post that he was going to run some T6 at his next oil change. - Bob is the Oil Guy

Shell Rotella® Products | Shell Rotella

Thanks for the links and info. I'll check it out...

/ Switch from Amsoil Diesel to Rotella T-6 or T-5?? #4  
Why switch. Nothin wrong with Amsoil. They buy there base stock from Mobil 1 and add some goodies.

I've got Amsoil in my 80's Kubota and the last change was about 15 years ago and she runs like a swiss watch.

/ Switch from Amsoil Diesel to Rotella T-6 or T-5?? #5  
If you are going to switch over the best oil readily available is Mobil 1 Full Synthetic oil. Its about the same price point as the Rotella. Dont get me wrong, Rotella is a good oil but its the bottom of the barrel as far as a synthetic oil goes. That is not a bad thing because it many times better then a conventional oil, its just the lowest grade stuff. I personally use it on some of my customers stuff with no issues but do not use it on my stuff. They request it.

Rotella is made different then most other synthetics. I can not tell you how but have read about it on this site and others. Again, its not bad stuff. Much better than conventional oils but for the same price point the Mobil 1 is a better product.

Walmart has both. Rotella in the blue jug runs $22 for a 4 qt jug and Mobil 1 is $28 for a 5 qt jug. This puts both right around $5.50 per qt.

Chris

/ Switch from Amsoil Diesel to Rotella T-6 or T-5??
I have no problem with Amsoil at all, and would continue using it, BUT to get it to me I have to become a dealer and that annual fee along with S&H is not worth it for the amount I use/yr.

Diamond Pilot,

I'm going to try the Mobil 1 full synthetic you recommended because as you mentioned it is readily available. I'm going to use the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40, which is what I'm hoping you were referring to as the 'full synthetic' ?
What do you service for your customers? Planes? Tractors? Cars/trucks? Tanks?:D:thumbsup:

Thanks!

CM

/ Switch from Amsoil Diesel to Rotella T-6 or T-5?? #7  
it for the amount I use/yr.

Diamond Pilot,

I'm going to try the Mobil 1 full synthetic you recommended because as you mentioned it is readily available. I'm going to use the Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W-40, which is what I'm hoping you were referring to as the 'full synthetic' ?
What do you service for your customers? Planes? Tractors? Cars/trucks? Tanks?:D:thumbsup:

Thanks!

CM
That is just what I am talking about.

What I do, and I am by no means a trained mechanic, is maintain about 75 boats. I also maintain all the equipment for a local landscape company that consist of 2 Pickup Trucks, (Ford gas and a Chevy diesel), 3 ZTR's (Scag and Ferris), Case Backhoe, Case Dozer, BobCat, Ford 961 gas tractor, 2 Dump trucks (Ford 700 gas and a GMC C60 gas), along with multiple other pieces of this and that. I have been doing this type of work for 20 some years now as a way to keep busy when not flying. I only averaged 12 days a month in the air last year. This year it will be less so I have lots of down time. I enjoy doing it and it gives me plenty of play money.

I do about 100 oil changes per year. I buy everything in 1 gallon, 5QT, or 5 gallon jugs. Tried the 55 gallon drums but the savings is maybe 5% and a pain to handle.

I also maintain my own stuff, 2 trucks (Nissan Titan and F-350 Diesel), my diesel and gas tractor, plus mowers, generators, boats, ect.

My ex's father was a oil sales man. He works for a company called True Blood Oil. Trueblood Oil | Home We are still very close and I get stuff from him time to time but as a rule I can beat his prices at WalMart or the auto parts stores. Anyway, I bounce questions off him all the time. Talked to him twice this week alone. Wish I could buy from him more often but its just not convenient for me or him and his costs are higher with me being such a low use customer. Yes, I am low use. He is used to dealing in drums or 1000's of gallons of oil, not a few hundred gallons a year.

Chris

/ Switch from Amsoil Diesel to Rotella T-6 or T-5?? #8  
If you are going to switch over the best oil readily available is Mobil 1 Full Synthetic oil. Its about the same price point as the Rotella. Dont get me wrong, Rotella is a good oil but its the bottom of the barrel as far as a synthetic oil goes. That is not a bad thing because it many times better then a conventional oil, its just the lowest grade stuff. I personally use it on some of my customers stuff with no issues but do not use it on my stuff. They request it.

Chris

I've switched most/all of my big diesels, including work trucks over to the valvoline premium blue full synthetic 5w40.

Seems to be a pretty darn good oil.. not sure where it falls in lineup with other diesel synthetcs though.

any opinion?

soundguy

/ Switch from Amsoil Diesel to Rotella T-6 or T-5?? #9  
i used to run conventional 15-40 rotella in my 2001 duramax, but last winter i switched to the t6. i did this because i had an extremely cold morning where i actually didn't think the truck would even start, but amazingly enough it did. the problem was that it was so cold that every bell, whistle, and light in the truck went off like a vegas slot machine because the oil wouldn't pump. the pressure gauge was pinned on zero with all the warnings going off. i immediately shut it off and plugged in the block heater.

next change i bought the 5-40 t6. on cold mornings you can tell the difference at startup. i can't say that we had an equally cold morning to compare the t6 to, but it was noticeably smoother and less labored on cold mornings.

i have zero issues with amsoil and i've run it on multiple occasions over the years. i had a bike - 94 fzr1000 - that didn't like to shift well on anything other than amsoil. i also have a car i currently run amsoil in now because it was the only thing other than the mobil1 import 0w-40 oil that met the gm-ll-a-025 spec. if i could find a suitable amsoil grade for the diesel at a local store i'd probably try it too.

/ Switch from Amsoil Diesel to Rotella T-6 or T-5?? #10  
I ran amsoil for years nad t6...Then I used Lubecontrol with T6 and it will beat Amsoil....

If people tell you t6 is the best that are full of it.. what are you, user, looking for? Wear numbers, lowest pour point, extended drains, high zddp...etc...most here have no clue..sorry been here since 02

Status
Not open for further replies.