Switched out robin to kohler

/ Switched out robin to kohler #11  
Hi Kris, I need a new engine also.
I have a few questions if you don't mind.
Could you give me the web site URL for where you ordered your new engine? I am assuming it Was delivered to your home, correct? Was it a kholer 425? What year is your PT425?

Do you think this swap would also work for my PT422?

I have mine in the shop, they are telling me it needs a new engine (currently it has the 22hp Robin / Subaru). They said they talked to Power Trac and I could get another 22hp Robin from Power Trac. I don't want another Robin engine!

Besides the wiring harness was there anything else that needed modified or changed?

Thanks Kris.
Anyone else that wants to add a couple cents to this, please feel free. I need all the help I can get 😁
Why not go electric?

To be honest I would find a Briggs conversion before putting a Kohler in anything.

/ Switched out robin to kohler #12  
This is what i used on my 422. If my search capabilities were better, i'd post the thread too.

Kohler CH730-3208 Horizontal Engine
KOH-PA-CH730-3208​
Grand Total (Incl.Tax)
$1,526.95

/ Switched out robin to kohler #13  
Hi MossRoad,
Since Kmaz has not responded yet, and I was wondering if you know of another way I might get in contact with him?
My PT422 needs to have an engine change also and I do not want another Robin/Subaru engine.
I am not real mechanically inclined, but can turn a wrench and I do have some common sense.
My PT422 is at a shop now, they are the ones that said it needs a new engine. They said they contacted Power Trac Company, and was told to replace with another Robin, which they would sell to the shop, but as I said, I do not want another Robin engine.
Also, the shop is quoting me (if I went with another engine, and for them to do the R&R) $3500.
I thought I read by Kris (Kmaz) that he replaced his engine for $1550.
So over $2000 for the shop to do it seems a bit outrages to me, what do you think?
(Plus, again, I don't want another Robin engine.)
Thanks
Abe
All I could tell you is try sending him a PM. I have no way of contacting any members of TBN other than that.

As for swapping out an engine...

I'm gonna guess the Robin and Kohler's have different dimensions. Footprint would require different mounts. Shaft sizes would require different lovejoys. Shaft lengths. Length of engines. Length of pump mounts. Could get quite complicated. If you go Robin to Robin, I cannot see why a shop would charge that much. It's something I would do at home if it's a direct swap. But if you switched Robin for Kohler, then I imagine it would involve some fabrication and labor and that all adds up to $$$$.

/ Switched out robin to kohler #14  
All I could tell you is try sending him a PM. I have no way of contacting any members of TBN other than that.

As for swapping out an engine...

I'm gonna guess the Robin and Kohler's have different dimensions. Footprint would require different mounts. Shaft sizes would require different lovejoys. Shaft lengths. Length of engines. Length of pump mounts. Could get quite complicated. If you go Robin to Robin, I cannot see why a shop would charge that much. It's something I would do at home if it's a direct swap. But if you switched Robin for Kohler, then I imagine it would involve some fabrication and labor and that all adds up to $$$$.
MossRoad, thanks for your quick reply. What you state about the swap, I thought the same, that “it would involve some fabrication”. That’s why I wanted to speak with Kmaz, because what he wrote about his swap SEEMED (my take, my presumption) as if it was a swap for swap with no “fabrication” whatsoever. If he had done so, there was no implicit in his thread. So that is why I would really like to speak to him. I am not sure how to do a PM, could you direct me on that? As always, thank you and others of the forum that help on so many different things.

/ Switched out robin to kohler #15  
Why not go electric?

To be honest I would find a Briggs conversion before putting a Kohler in anything.

TractorGuy, thinks for your input. I would love to go electric but I would need you to walk me through everything! Tell me you are up for the challenge and I will GO FOR IT! Also, why would you go with a B&S over a Kholer engine if you don’t mind me asking?

/ Switched out robin to kohler #16  
This is what i used on my 422. If my search capabilities were better, i'd post the thread too.

Kohler CH730-3208 Horizontal Engine
KOH-PA-CH730-3208​
Grand Total (Incl.Tax)
$1,526.95
Cqaigy2, how much “fabrication” was needed for you to swap engines? Thanks.

/ Switched out robin to kohler #17  
I thought PT was now offering a kit to make these swaps easy....

/ Switched out robin to kohler #18  
I thought PT was now offering a kit to make these swaps easy....
PT does have some parts that make it possible to do the swap with little no fabrication. I found my thread where i ended up changing out my robins to kohler.
If you have questions, i'll do my best to answer them. Check out the thread below.

/ Switched out robin to kohler #19  
When I changed my engine on my 422 , I talked to Terry and he said they would do it and the price didn't seem that bad(can not remember what it was)I ended up swapping Robin to Robin which I had purchased several years before used.

/ Switched out robin to kohler #20  
I changed out a 422 to a 25 HP. and even change to higher torque wheel motors and it is no big deal, The results were were not as much as I expected. I never had a issue in the winter with the Robin engines..... Jim