Switching to Synthetic....HELP!

/ Switching to Synthetic....HELP! #11  
Gavman said:
I spoke to the mechanic at my dealer today. I asked his opinion of synthetic oils. His opinion was that because synthetics swell more than dino oils do at higher temps, he did not like them. He stated that because the engine was broken in with dino oil, the synthetic oil may push the seals out a little, causing leaks. From some other things he said, I gathered that his experience was from a previous job, and some years earlier. I have heard that synthetic oils had this problem when they first were introduced, but that they have been "reformulated" to fix this problem.

Does any of this info sound accurate?
Thanks,
Gavin

Yeh, mechanics are not reliable for this type of information. Speculation and new wifes tales are very popular in the community.

You need to talk to engineers that specialize in engines and even better, failure analysis.

If your going to worry about it a lot, don't use it. I can tell you that I use synthetic oil, not only in my tractor, but also in my VERY expensive aircraft engine, with no problems. And so do countless others.

/ Switching to Synthetic....HELP! #12  
My 2000 F150 book calls for oil changes every 3k miles ... I have used Amsoil in it since 2002. I used Castrol Syntec prior to that. I change it every 5k miles which offsets the cost. It has 218,000 miles on it now and I plan on getting 275,000 miles on it before I trade it. (timing with my retirement). I believe in synthetic oil and use it in everything I own.....cept 2 cycle stuff.

/ Switching to Synthetic....HELP! #13  
I believe in synthetic oil and use it in everything I own.....cept 2 cycle stuff.

I use Amsoil synthetic 2 cycle mix in all my commerical grade trimmers, chainsaws,blowers ;)

/ Switching to Synthetic....HELP! #14  
Gavman said:
I spoke to the mechanic at my dealer today. I asked his opinion of synthetic oils. His opinion was that because synthetics swell more than dino oils do at higher temps, he did not like them. He stated that because the engine was broken in with dino oil, the synthetic oil may push the seals out a little, causing leaks. From some other things he said, I gathered that his experience was from a previous job, and some years earlier. I have heard that synthetic oils had this problem when they first were introduced, but that they have been "reformulated" to fix this problem.

Thanks,
Gavin

I asked an engineer friend about this Friday and he said that may have been a concern 20 -25 years ago. He said todays synthetic oils are very compatible and the seals the seals today are made of materials that are much more durable and would tolerate differences with no problem.

/ Switching to Synthetic....HELP!
Thanks to everybody for your replies. I've been mowing natural gas sites the last three weeks. The grass has been about 5-7 feet tall. Last thursday I changed my oil to Royal Purple 15w-40. I also washed out my radiator keep in mind. The day after I changed the oil, I mowed one of the narliest sites yet. The grass was bogging my motor unless I was going super slow due to some pretty thick bermuda. However, my tractor ran better, and I believe had more power than ever. It also ran slightly cooler than it did when it was new. I have put about 20 hours of hard mowing on the tractor since I switched to synthetic oil, and I am really pleased so far.

/ Switching to Synthetic....HELP! #16  
I switched my GRAVELY over to ROYAL PURPLE and LOVED it SO MUCH I now run ROYAL PURPLE in my 07 PT CRUISER,,my 07 BIG DOG motorcycle,,my 28 FULL BLOWN CUSTOM STreet Rod.ROYAL PURPLE is a little more expensive but it made a BELEIVER out of me,,,AND I GAINED THREE MILES per gallon BETTER on my fuel in the PT Cruiser
Semper-Fi
Devil-Dog

/ Switching to Synthetic....HELP! #17  
Gavman said:

Thanks,
Gavin

Find a new mechanic.

/ Switching to Synthetic....HELP! #18