synatheic oils

/ synatheic oils #1  

chefirv

Tractor
ford 1210
was wondering if anyone uses syntheic oil in their 3 cyclinder.
are the good to use???
or stick with the regular oil???

/ synatheic oils #2  
hI CHEFIRV,

Try running a search on this--opinions run the full spectrum, and it has been discussed in depth repeatedly. Probably won't lure many posters into starting the discussion again...;)

/ synatheic oils #3  
I was looking for a motor oil for both gas and diesel, that could be used all year long. I don't put enough hours on for 2 changes a year on the GC2300. I was very happy with Esso XD-3 0W40(only available in Canda I believe) in my 17hp B&S riding mower so now use it in everythng. I get it at Walmart, not much more than dino, and a lot less then the other synthetics. Cold weather starting was my main concern.

It's a topic I like :)

/ synatheic oils #4  
Synthetic lube oil....pffffbbbt. Who cares? I anxiously await the introduction of synthetic fuel oil.

/ synatheic oils #5  
I've Mobil 1 in every engine I own now. Even had it in my Gravely that has now passed on to another owner. Include a 3 cylinder JD (4010), 4 cylinder diesel Benz with 230k miles on it, 4 cylinder Toyota with 145k miles, 4 cylinder VW with 93k miles, a JD walk behind, Suzuki generator. These are now on their 4th yearly changes (well, went 3 years on the Suzuki before I remembered to change it). Used it in a couple other mowers that I've since sold or given away to others.

Ralph

/ synatheic oils #6  
cp1969 said:
Synthetic lube oil....pffffbbbt. Who cares? I anxiously await the introduction of synthetic fuel oil.

Been around for decades, invented by the Germans and is refined from coal. There are a few process plants that are scheduled to go on line around the world in the next few years. I think it was either Exxon/Mobil or Chevron that had one slated to go on line this year here in the US.

/ synatheic oils #7  
ExoonMobil was planning a project to convert a big gas field in Indonesia to synthetic fuel/oil. Maybe it's coming on line? Could make great gobs of synthetic lube oil, probably much cheaper than from PAO (Mobil 1). Synthetic fuel is what they're after though, to save the cost of shipping natural gas.

/ synatheic oils #8  
There is also a big plant being built in one of the Persian Gulf countries that has lots of gas but no way to get it to market. If the gas can be converted to diesel then they have a world wide market for the product.

Later,
Dan

/ synatheic oils #9  
chefirv said:
was wondering if anyone uses syntheic oil in their 3 cyclinder.
are the good to use???
or stick with the regular oil???
Insufficient input!

Gas or diesel?
How "hard" do you work it?
How often do you..or do you WISH to change oil?

If you NEED syn oils...you have no choice. If its just to get a "warm and fuzzy feeling"...its your $$..do as you wish.