Synthetic vs Mineral Oil in my Tacoma

/ Synthetic vs Mineral Oil in my Tacoma #1  

HillStreet

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2650HST. Kubota Z125S
I drive a 2015 Toyota Tacoma with 6 cylinder engine. Maintenance manual says to use mineral oil but I have used synthetic oil. The service manager says to use mineral oil every 5000 miles. I asked her what is wrong if I used synthetic oil she said I am wasting money to use synthetic oil every 5000 miles. I told her don稚 try to save me money, just answer the question. She repeated the same mineral oil at 5000 miles.
So, is it a money issue, will synthetic harm my engine or is mineral truly the best for my truck?

/ Synthetic vs Mineral Oil in my Tacoma #2  
No - there is no harm in using synthetic oil. Sometimes old engines with old seals may develop leaks, but even so, they must be rare. I have had quite a few high mileage vehicles that I switched and had no leaks.

Probably the biggest benefit, especially in Maine, is that your cold starts will be a lot easier on the engine. Even the very good mineral oils nowadays cannot flow as well as most synthetics in the cold.

/ Synthetic vs Mineral Oil in my Tacoma #3  
I switched all my gas water cooled engines, incl. the Tacoma's, to M1 0w20. Uses the same oil filter, M1 102A, as our Miata. Only put 1k/yr on it. So, only change about every 5 yrs or more. More or less the same on our diesel generator: about every 5 years, 5w30 Castrol synthetic in it now but will switch to M1 0w30 ESP next change.

I've switched a 1983 240D Benz with near 200k miles on it at the time to M1 and even an old 5665 Gravely tractor. No problems. The Gravely actually quit using oil after a couple changes on M1. The Benz used it usual (designed in) approximately 1 quart/2,000 miles.

Synthetic Group IV type oils (like M1) are just like mineral oils, but with NO impurities and NO wax. I worked in the lube oil manufacturing industry for 31 years and was privy to research on other oils and what makes them good, what they are, etc. Why do people get concerned about switching to synthetic?

Ralph

/ Synthetic vs Mineral Oil in my Tacoma #4  
I drive a 2015 Toyota Tacoma with 6 cylinder engine. Maintenance manual says to use mineral oil but I have used synthetic oil. The service manager says to use mineral oil every 5000 miles. I asked her what is wrong if I used synthetic oil she said I am wasting money to use synthetic oil every 5000 miles. I told her don稚 try to save me money, just answer the question. She repeated the same mineral oil at 5000 miles.
So, is it a money issue, will synthetic harm my engine or is mineral truly the best for my truck?

There are no performance specifications required of a synthetic motor oil over and above those of a refined/mineral motor oil. In other words there are no assurances a synthetic motor oil is superior, or even as good as, a refined motor oil. Only that accepted synthetic manufacturing processes be used. No requirement of what actually gets made.

The only requirement of synthetic is one defined in a court of binding arbitration between the marketing department at Castrol and the marketing department at Mobil. The conclusion was Castrol tried hard enough with hyper-refining that they may sell their oil as "synthetic." That "synthetic" was only a metric of effort not result.

I do not doubt superior motor oil can be manufactured using synthetic processes but I totally doubt the use of synthetic processes guarantees a superior product. I use Mobil-1 because it is a good product with good price at Walmart. The fact it is synthetic is incidental.

You young wippersnappers don't remember The Good Old Days when one selected a motor oil and used religiously for the life of the engine for fear of gaskets and seals leaking. One didn't change from Havoline to Mobil to Quaker State to Pennzoil for fear of leaks. Roads all had big black streak between wheel tracks because everything leaked leaked leaked. When rains came parking lots had oil streaks on the runoff.

Then along came synthetic motor oils and the oil seal thing was blamed on the new motor oils, when all along this was a common problem. The guys making refined motor oils didn't know everything about what they were doing, they just did what their company had always done. And the guys making synthetic motor oil didn't know everything that was expected of a motor oil so they worked on bearing and ring wear.

Then people started studying the oil seal issue and found the rubber/vinyl compounds used absorbed motor oils at different rates. Some brands more than others caused the seals to swell. Swollen seal fit tighter. Tighter wore but still sealed. Then if you came along with a different oil the old leeched out and maybe the new didn't swell as much so the worn seal leaked.

Today the SAE/API specifies how the oil should swell the seal, and seal makers know, and there is no longer a leak issue when changing oils no matter refined or synthetic.

/ Synthetic vs Mineral Oil in my Tacoma #5  
I'll admit this one got me surfing to find out what mineral oil is. I learned it's regular old motor oil like I've been using for sixty years. I used to change my oil after 1000 miles but over time increased that to 3000 miles. With the advent of newer engines and supposedly improved synthetic oils I have extended my oil changes out to 5000 miles. I understand some of the synthetic oils are supposed to be good for three times that but I don't even run as long as the car manufacturer says I can. It may be cheap insurance as I've not had an engine apart for many years. I figure twenty years should be long enough to keep any car. I get tired or them by then.

/ Synthetic vs Mineral Oil in my Tacoma #6  
Refined oils are good for 5,000 miles. Some oils meet specifications for extended drain typically 10,000 miles. But extended drain specifications say nothing about what manufacturing technique is to be used.

Factory spec oil change interval of my 1983 Porsche 928S is 15,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first. Using refined motor oil of the day.

/ Synthetic vs Mineral Oil in my Tacoma #7  
Put synthetic in there and run it 10k before oil changes. 7k if you are nervous. Go on tacomaworld, get much better info anyways....

/ Synthetic vs Mineral Oil in my Tacoma #8  
I have a 2016 Tacoma which, with one (oil change) exception, has been dealer maintained since I bought it. They use synthetic oil exclusively. The truck has almost 90K miles on it now and I haven't had any major problems and very few minor problems.
So, why change what works!

/ Synthetic vs Mineral Oil in my Tacoma #9  
We recently purchased a 2003 BMW Z4 for an occasional weekend convertible. BMW makes it hard to find a substitute for their recommended full synthetic requirement. The manual says to use BMW part number ##### only. After hours of digging I found where they also approve Mobile 1. Ironically when I got around to changing the oil the cap on the vehicle had Castrol embossed on it. :)

The scary part is the oil in the engine looked like tar. The car has a service reminder that displays briefly when you start the engine and after resetting that it starts at 18,000 miles. I cringe to think they were running ANY oil for that length of time.

It also has a tag on the transmission pan saying it has a lifetime oil in it and no change is required. Here again it has a BMW part number only listed if for some reason you do need to change the fluid. I finally found a spec on that and discovered Valvoline lists a compatible ATF.

Both our Kia Sorento and this BMW have NO DIPSTICK or way to check the transmission fluid level. We have paid the Kia dealer to flush the Kia trans at 60K and 120K so there must be a way to fill and check level underneath but I haven't really looked into it further.

I am not planning to pay a BMW tax to get the trans fluid changed so I will eventually figure where the fill and level check is on the BMW.

Sorry to bleed off topic!

/ Synthetic vs Mineral Oil in my Tacoma #10  
I have a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser with the 4.0L V-6. I believe that's the same engine as your Tacoma. Factory specs call for 5k changes w/5w-30 dino. I have owned the vehicle since new and use 0W40 full synthetic oil at 10k changes and the engine runs like new and is currently at 152k miles. It uses no oil between changes. It's my daily driver.

I've been using synthetic oil in ALL my vehicles and equipment (new and used) since 1985 and have never had a single issue, gas, diesel, turbo or normally aspirated. No worries.

DEWFPO