T Post Drivers

/ T Post Drivers #21  
This is the one I bought a couple years ago

99E-M Post Driver 2 - 7/8" Max Diameter Recommended For Military Use and Drill Stem - Rohrer Manufacturing

ordered it with t-post sleeve and one that fits 2" square tube. Driving T-posts in less than dead of summer, sometimes it's hard not to overshoot. Rocks can deflect of course, and it takes a little longer in hard dry soil.

I use the 2" square sleeve on an adapter I made - welded a cap on 2" x 1/8" wall square tube, then welded a cap on an 8" long piece of 4" square tube and welded the 2" on top of the 4" - this lets me "pencil point" a PT 4x4, lock the "adapter" into the driver, slide the whole thing over the post and drive it in.

Dry weather with the 4x4's is slow, and I haven't tried NOT pointing the posts first. I have a bucket full of today's version of "penta-40" that I soak the cut ends of the post in first. So far, so good...

Even the larger version runs fine on one of the "hot dog" portable 120 volt compressors - mine's a Campbell-Housfield. It'll run on a 4 kw genny ok, which makes the whole thing "field portable"... Steve

/ T Post Drivers #23  
With all of these drivers it is important to assess height of starting post, where the trigger mechanism is, and how tightly the guide holds the post. I should have mentioned that I'm in the middle of driving 8 ft vineyard posts to a final height of 6 ft in stony ground. I'm pounding about 1400 posts in what would be ~ 5 miles of trellis. Each day I can get ~80 posts in including unstringing/stringing each row. Wish I could go faster.