Table brakes for welding table

/ Table brakes for welding table #11  
If its cheap you want, just weld a nut to the plate on each leg similar to what weldingisfun did. I wouldnt put the knee brace sticking out to trip over and would put in a long threaded bolt from the top to make it easier to get to the head for turning. Just tighten the bolt up when you have the table where you want it. It also works as a table leveling system. You could also use some old C-clamps and just cut the half off with the treads and weld to the table leg. Coarse threads would make it faster to level and by using the C clamp threaded rod, no wrenches needed.

Last edited:
   / Table brakes for welding table
That would definitely be heavy duty. How much do you think the jacks cost?

If its cheap you want, just weld a nut to the plate on each leg similar to what weldingisfun did. I wouldnt put the knee brace sticking out to trip over and would put in a long threaded bolt from the top to make it easier to get to the head for turning. Just tighten the bolt up when you have the table where you want it. It also works as a table leveling system. You could also use some old C-clamps and just cut the half off with the treads and weld to the table leg. Coarse threads would make it faster to level and by using the C clamp threaded rod, no wrenches needed.

Is there enough surface area on the bolt to hold the table if you get to wrenching and pulling hard?

/ Table brakes for welding table #14  
Want more surface area on the threads? Google "coupler nut" (without the quotes, of course :=)... Steve

(I'd go with at least 5/8 - if you weld a coupler nut to one side of a short piece of heavy-walled square tube, then weld that to your table leg, it'll give you enough offset to turn a wrench without fighting the table leg so much)

/ Table brakes for welding table #15  
Anyone use trailer jacks?
Placed near the casters it would allow you to immobilize the table once it's where you want it.
Added benefit would be the ability to level the table and get four legs in contact with an uneven surface.

It would work, depending on how far you want to take it. Here is a picture of a table I got off another web site that uses them. DSC_0014.jpg

/ Table brakes for welding table #17  
Bday, happy you like my idea. Now keep in mind, it is a brake, not a leveling device. WT 20.jpg

Gary, you are right. The way I built mine can be seen as a tripping hazard, that is why the photo has the red directional arrow to put the brake to the inside of the table leg. Although I have never tripped on mine. There is a 6 inch overhang on my table.

The jacks used by Runner, if they are Bulldog, will run you about $65 each Bulldog Square Jack with Footplate - Fixed Leg - Sidewind - 10" Lift - 5,000 lbs Bulldog Trailer Jack BD195351. Weld on jack prices start about $25 Pro Series Round, Pipe-Mount Swivel Jack w/ Footplate - Topwind - 10" Lift - 5,000 lbs Pro Series Trailer Jack PS1401460303.

/ Table brakes for welding table #18  
You would probably want a side handle weld-on jack. I was going to say mount it inboard but with a 2' retracted length plus room for the handle to swing under the table it may not fit well.
Ultra-Tow Square Tube Jack — 3000-Lb. Lift Capacity, Direct Weld Mounting | Trailer Jacks| Northern Tool + Equipment

Those kick stops like the first reply are pretty decent. I have one bench with a single kick stop that makes it a 3-legged base when engaged.

The simple bolt stop would work well if you reverse the bolt and screw a swivel foot to the bottom end. McMaster-Carr

I really prefer something like this: 1/2 in. x 2 in. Steel Concrete Drop-in Anchor-50126 at The Home Depot

/ Table brakes for welding table #19  
My idea was to make some chocks out of 1/4"x 1" flatstock. Cheap, simple and it was a good project for my 15 yr old son to do.

brakes 002.jpg brakes 001.jpg

My idea was to make some chocks out of 1/4"x 1" flatstock. Cheap, simple and it was a good project for my 15 yr old son to do.

View attachment 304426 View attachment 304427

Hey Mercmaniac, looks like a good idea. I just finished mine today. Went to Harbor Freight and bought 4 jacks. The concrete in my shop is less than level. I'd like to meet the guy that poured it! Anyway, being able to level the table is great for some jobs! Plus the table is now stationary with the jacks down. It worked really well!:thumbsup: