Table Saw

/ Table Saw #61  
Have you seen this new table saw called a "saw stop" It has a cartridge in it that some how senses when a soft object like a finger is against the blade and instantly retracts it away and down. They advertise it by showing a hot dog being put into the blade without it damaging the weiner. I am not sure how it works, but I think once it fires you need to replace the cartridge. They are pretty pricey though, upwards of 2K.
By the way, how do you know when a lawyer stops lying? His lips stop moving.
Need to replace your saw too IIRC and it will "trip" on wet wood (such as fresh pressure treated wood).
See: Saw Stop table saw and Why Not a SawStop? | Flair Woodworks
Aaron Z

/ Table Saw #62  
The most dangerous tool in the workshop is the one on two legs.

/ Table Saw #63  
Have you seen this new table saw called a "saw stop" It has a cartridge in it that some how senses when a soft object like a finger is against the blade and instantly retracts it away and down. They advertise it by showing a hot dog being put into the blade without it damaging the weiner. I am not sure how it works, but I think once it fires you need to replace the cartridge. They are pretty pricey though, upwards of 2K.
By the way, how do you know when a lawyer stops lying? His lips stop moving.

they've been around for quite a few years. good (i guess) for educational shop enviro or general production safety. when triggered, it trashes the blade (newer models may have improved that but it's a lot cheaper than sewing on a severed digit). they definitely are a more expensive machine. my feeling is that when the technology improves, (ie sensors/methods), the technology will begin to see its way (good ol' OSHA!) to many work environments even to the home owner. my hope, though, is that it alone should never replace safety training & operator awareness required for each machine.

/ Table Saw #64  
Keeping my wiener away from table saw blades :eek:...Already missing fingers from one..Enough missing parts.

/ Table Saw #65  

I read somewhere that the originators of this device tried to sell it to some big name saw makers and it didn't fly.

My friend is a contractor who last year had an employee (a much experienced carpenter) lose 2 fingers in a 1988 table saw that the guard had been removed. Not that it matters but the saw belonged to the homeowner who was acting as the GC.

So my friend's workman's comp has paid out over $250,000 in costs related to the accident, they are still trying to get his fingers working again, he still has not worked since the accident last Summer. In fact his insurance company has put him in a risk pool because of this one accident, tripling his insurance premiums. Because he can't make money with these crazy premiums he has contemplated going out of business.

Just food for thought, Fred

/ Table Saw #66  
The saw stop works by running a mild electric current through the saw blade and it monitors resistance changes. The blood will change the resistance and activate it. When it activates it flips a tempered bar in the path of the blade that will destroy at least one of the teeth, and therefore the blade.

The downside is that any liquid can change that resistance as well. So if the sweat from your brow, or the spittle from a cough were to hit the blade it activate as well. So I just can't see it as a good idea in general. It's up to you be safe and use guards and push blocks.