Table Saw

/ Table Saw #51  
Hey neighbor (I'm in Gainesboro), and welcome to TBN! :welcome:

I gotta ask; just what is a "77"?

- Jay

As already mentioned, a '77' is a Skilsaw 77, a worm drive 7.25" circular saw. Sorta heavy, this was the std for framers for yrs. This unit has thousands of torque! Ive often used it with a diamond blade to flat saw concrete. They seem to last forever. I gave my 35 yo saw to my son, and just got a new lighter 'Mag 77', the Skil magnesium lt weight version of the old standard.

/ Table Saw #52  
I saw a Skil 77 at an antique/junk store the other day for $60. Beat to heck, rusty foot, cord was cracked. I'm sure it worked great, and will last another 30 years. Amazing that something so old and well-used can still command a price like that. That's about what I see them go for at garage sales, craigslist, etc. Probably still a better tool than the home depot $59 equivalent.

/ Table Saw #53  
I really don't care for any circular saw that has the blade on the left hand side, I do allot of ripping with a circular saw, and use my left had index finger & thumb tight against the plate in order to quickly rip a straight line, I have a left hand porter cable saw I use to back cut one side of my step risers skirt boards,, I once while not thinking grabbed it up to use to rip a board not thinking about which side the blade was on, As I get the saw started I always watch the blade to the line for a few inches and let-er-rip, I'd ripped about 3 ft of an 8 ft. 2x4, when I looked down and realized my fingers was less than 1" from the blade:eek: The thought of it scared me sick,
I been using circular saws since I was 12 years old, thats over 43 years, in fact beside cross cutting a board, I've learn to use a circular saw to cut 5" crown-molding when I was a siding/cornice man, I've handled saws while cutting in every position imaginable, cutting rafter tails while 40 ft on scaffold holding it out and above my head (one handed) Cutting in tight crawl spaces, But never have I let a blade come that close to any part of my body, I rarely use that left handed saw, Not that there is anything wrong with using one if using it correctly, It's just that the habit I developed of using a saw to rip with,
a left hand circular saw could well be a hazard to me,

/ Table Saw #54  
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's probably a bad idea to use your finger to guide the saw on the board. I know, I know you've been doing it for a long time without issue, but I think that'd be considered a "no-no".

/ Table Saw #55  
I was sitting here half watching TV and half browsing TBN. One of those ambulance chasing lawyers just played an ad for big cash settlements (or what ever they always promise) to people who had been injured by a table saw.

Dear God. I cut my wittle finger with a Case pocket knife the other day, I wonder if I can sue them for enough money to not have to work for a few years.

Does no one in America take accountability for their actions anymore, or is it always someone else's fault?

A couple that stand out to me. There is one for hip replacement issues and the lawyer wants you to call even if you have no issues. One medication I take has warnings all over it about the dangers and what can happen. I see one for this product also now for side effects that are listed on the box and the letter that comes with it.

A friend of my wife years ago used Yaz birth control with no issues, yet was called a few weeks ago by a lawyer. Wanting to know if even though she had no issues want to sign on to the suit against them.

There are a few companies from overseas that make machinery for my industry. They no longer sell here in the states due to the liability. These companies are based in Europe and have to pass very tough safety standards. Yet you can't make a machine that will stop people 100% of the time from doing stupid things.

/ Table Saw #56  
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that it's probably a bad idea to use your finger to guide the saw on the board. I know, I know you've been doing it for a long time without issue, but I think that'd be considered a "no-no".

Besides getting a occasional splinter I don't see what the problem is using my fingers to hold the saw straight while ripping, perhaps you misunderstood how I do it, Although I wouldn't recommend an untrained person to try it, and yes it would be a "no no" if using a left hand saw ;)

/ Table Saw #57  

FWIW...this is something that many professional carpenters do on a regular basis...it becomes a second nature and is quite productive...

/ Table Saw #58  
FWIW...this is something that many professional carpenters do on a regular basis...it becomes a second nature and is quite productive...

I'm not saying it can't be done or isn't productive. I'm certainly not saying that professionals don't do it. I do want to say that for the guys reading this who have never done it and think it's worth a try: it's not a safe practice. Also, something becoming "second nature" isn't a good reason to keep doing it, or encourage someone to do it.

Lots and lots of loggers used to bring cases of beer into the woods every day. I'm sure that became second nature, and I'm sure they were quite productive. Also, that's not safe, and I would personally consider it to be a bad idea.

/ Table Saw #59  
I'm not saying it can't be done or isn't productive. I'm certainly not saying that professionals don't do it. I do want to say that for the guys reading this who have never done it and think it's worth a try: it's not a safe practice. Also, something becoming "second nature" isn't a good reason to keep doing it, or encourage someone to do it.

Lots and lots of loggers used to bring cases of beer into the woods every day. I'm sure that became second nature, and I'm sure they were quite productive. Also, that's not safe, and I would personally consider it to be a bad idea.

No one is promoting or suggesting to try this, seems to me you going out on a limb has taken it out of context, what was actually being said was that a left handed saw used by a person who uses a right handed saw could be dangerous, if by force of habit happens to try and use it in the same way as using a right hand saw,
Even though I was well aware of the saw having the blade on the left side, it was by force of habit that I used it in the way I did as if I were using a right hand saw,
Lucky for me I quickly realized it and stopped,
I can't see how anyone after reading this would think to them self to go out and try it.......if anything would be to not try it, or not having a left hand saw, and is pretty much what I said explaining my experience with one,

kinda like driving a car with the steering wheel on the right side , sure with enough practice I could get use to it,how many accidents I have while trying I wouldn't know, but with having driven a car for close to 40 years I just assume continue driving with the steering wheel on the left side, much safer for me and everyone else on the road, lol.

/ Table Saw #60  
Have you seen this new table saw called a "saw stop" It has a cartridge in it that some how senses when a soft object like a finger is against the blade and instantly retracts it away and down. They advertise it by showing a hot dog being put into the blade without it damaging the weiner. I am not sure how it works, but I think once it fires you need to replace the cartridge. They are pretty pricey though, upwards of 2K.
By the way, how do you know when a lawyer stops lying? His lips stop moving.