Tachometer stopped working on L2501

/ Tachometer stopped working on L2501 #1  

ChemE

Tractor
L2501-HST/4wd/Loader
Hi everyone, While brush hogging this past weekend my tach quit working on the tractor. Anyone had this happen and I assume its an easy fix. I looked to see if I could locate a cable that has hanging. Are these mechanical cables from the trans or is electrical sensor type?

Thanks

ChemE

/ Tachometer stopped working on L2501
well it looks to be mechanical and is either one of 2 parts. Cable or part attached to the engine. First step is taking the orange instrument cover off. I will report back and up date the thread.

/ Tachometer stopped working on L2501 #3  
IIRC....my B2620 "hour meter" was a mechanical cable that broke. About a $20 part with an easy fix.

Cheers,
Mike

I suppose it depend on whether your dash is digital or analog.

Last edited:
   / Tachometer stopped working on L2501 #4  
If you keep them greased, usually they last forever. I have 4500 hours on my one tractor and the cable or drive has never been an issue.

/ Tachometer stopped working on L2501 #5  
I had a similar issue a couple months ago (thread somewhere in this forum) where the tach and the hour meter stopped working on a L3200 with less than 150 hours. Messicks had the cable which was good because the parts diagram didn’t show it. It arrived in two days.

I thought it would be a job to start taking off panels, but when I got started saw only a handful of bolts needed to access the back of the tach. I was done in about 25 minutes. Super easy.

The cable never never broke on my L2650 in twenty years and 1800 hours, and this one in 150 hours so I guess they just don’t make them like they used to.