Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill

/ Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill #11  
What is the "real world" MPG on the smallest 6 cyl? Is the 4 cyl available in a 4wd model and I wonder what it get's.
I've been semi interested in the Taco but (without any real research) kinda get the feedback that (mpg's) it's not very far at all away from some of the v-8's in half tons. That, if it's true, makes it a little bit harder to sacrifice the interior & bed space.

/ Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill #12  
My 2005 looks very much like your new one.

Wife and I both dislike driving it. It's a turd on the road compared to the torquey performance of our Jetta TDI.

Wish Toyota would bring back the 1995-1999 body but with the great tonneau fit and all plus mirrors from the 2005. But put a 2.0 liter turbo diesel in it. 50 mpg here we come! It'd go like a bat out of ****, too. The 1996 drove like a bat out of **** compared to the turdy performance of the 2005. Once drove it on our excape from Louisiana, passing everything in sight. Got 30 mpg over 2 tankfuls on that trip doing probably 85 mph. NO WAY this 2005 beast can do that, even though it averages almost what the old one did. Just won't get hardly better than 28 mpg on the highway.

Ralph

/ Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill #13  
I'm on my second Tacoma. I bought the first one brand new in 2006 and sold it earlier this year with 195,000 on the clock. Zero issues whatsoever. I liked that truck so much I bought another one this year. I don't think I will ever buy any other brand of small pickup.

/ Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill #14  
If Hyundai comes out with the Santa Cruz as promised, I may get one. They've promised it with a 2.0 liter turbo diesel. The Tacoma needs the diesel and to be a tad smaller. They had the T100 mid size that didn't sell well. Why the heck did they make the Tacoma into a T100?

Ralph

/ Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill #15  
I think the problem with the T100 was that it was not big enough to really be full sized, but too big to be compact, and didn't really have enough power to be either. I think it could only be had with a smallish V6 and maybe even a 4 cylinder. Plus I think the looks were rather unappealing. There were a couple rolling around here for awhile, but I haven't seen one in ages.

/ Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill #16  
2015 GMC Canyon SLE Crew Cab 4x4 Review - Best In Class

Undoubtedly, the Toyota Tacoma (and Nissan Frontier) will feel like the truckier truck, and it'll likely still feel that way after we drive the revamped 2016 model. Yet with so many of us now using our trucks as commuter cars, as minivans, and as primary vehicles, how can we ignore the Canyon's superior control layout, seats and seating position? Are we supposed to set aside the fact that the 3.6L is far happier to rev than the Tacoma's outgoing 4.0L V6 and that the reduction in cabin noise greatly reduces driver fatigue on longer journeys because the Canyon is too good at too many things?

From a daily driver's perspective, there is simply no comparison, not until Honda's next Ridgeline arrives.

/ Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill #17  
What is the "real world" MPG on the smallest 6 cyl? Is the 4 cyl available in a 4wd model and I wonder what it get's.
I've been semi interested in the Taco but (without any real research) kinda get the feedback that (mpg's) it's not very far at all away from some of the v-8's in half tons. That, if it's true, makes it a little bit harder to sacrifice the interior & bed space.
The long bed crew cab GMC Canyon is 20 feet long. That is the length of a standard city parking space. They're huge, the full-size trucks are immense.

/ Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill #18  
Problem I have with big pickups is they are plain impractical. Cannot reach over the side and do anything with what's in the back. Need a ladder (Ford even provided one as an option) to get into the back.

Ralph

/ Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill #19  
S
Problem I have with big pickups is they are plain impractical. Cannot reach over the side and do anything with what's in the back. Need a ladder (Ford even provided one as an option) to get into the back.

Ralph
Have you checked out the new GM's? The truck sits up so high that the rear bumper has steps in both outside ends. Yet the ground clearance hasn't changed... go figure. To reach over the side I brace myself and step up on the fake rear wheel hub. (As Randy Newman's song " Short People" starts playing in my head.)

Then again if my father ever saw me reaching over the side to take anything out of the bed I'd get an earful. That's why they have tailgates, so that you won't scratch the paint.

/ Tacoma - Still King Of the Hill #20  
I think the problem with the T100 was that it was not big enough to really be full sized, but too big to be compact, and didn't really have enough power to be either. I think it could only be had with a smallish V6 and maybe even a 4 cylinder. Plus I think the looks were rather unappealing. There were a couple rolling around here for awhile, but I haven't seen one in ages.

I think that they were just plain under designed for what they were supposed to do. The rear end in particular had a lot of problems. At the time they were trying to compete with Dodge Dakotas; which were a complete POS in my opinion after owning two of them.