Takin it to the MAX

/ Takin it to the MAX #121  
I apologize if this was mentioned in a previous post, if it was I don't recall it. However I was wondering what gauge wire you are using. Some research I have found mentioned that 14 awg was good for 32 amps for chassis work and 12 awg was good for 41 amps. My intent is to wire up some extra lights (mainly led) to the tractor. I want to be safe but don't need overkill.

Still debating on using a relay or wiring it hot all the time (using fuses close to the battery of course).

I love what you are doing to your tractor and once it warms up intend to do something similar to mine.

Thanks for the post and the info.

Eric

/ Takin it to the MAX #122  
A good rule of thumb/basic system to use is as follows:
16 ga wire = 10 amps
14 ga wire = 15 amps
12 ga wire = 20 amps
10 ga wire = 30 amps

If the length of wire is short each of the amperage ratings can be increased but who wants to try and figure it out. The above amperage ratings are good for a length of wire as long as your tractor or one as short as as you want, no figuring, no worries.
If the wire you are using is fine strand then again the amount of current handled by the wire can be increased but why bother. Buy standard automotive wire, medium standing, soft flexible sheathing, not household stuff, and use the above ratings, you will not be sorry that you did.

LEDs use less amperage but remember to fuse for the smallest component in the circuit.
If you are powering a series of switches fuse for the total amperage draw close to the battery and then fuse each switch of the load applied on that circuit.

Again do not use household wiring for vehicle wiring, the copper strands are heavier and will work harden over time and break, maybe shorting out and it will happen when you are in the middle of a field or out hauling logs.

DIRTFT = Do It Right The First Time !

/ Takin it to the MAX #123  
A good rule of thumb/basic system to use is as follows:
16 ga wire = 10 amps
14 ga wire = 15 amps
12 ga wire = 20 amps
10 ga wire = 30 amps

If the length of wire is short each of the amperage ratings can be increased but who wants to try and figure it out. The above amperage ratings are good for a length of wire as long as your tractor or one as short as as you want, no figuring, no worries.
If the wire you are using is fine strand then again the amount of current handled by the wire can be increased but why bother. Buy standard automotive wire, medium standing, soft flexible sheathing, not household stuff, and use the above ratings, you will not be sorry that you did.

LEDs use less amperage but remember to fuse for the smallest component in the circuit.
If you are powering a series of switches fuse for the total amperage draw close to the battery and then fuse each switch of the load applied on that circuit.

Again do not use household wiring for vehicle wiring, the copper strands are heavier and will work harden over time and break, maybe shorting out and it will happen when you are in the middle of a field or out hauling logs.

DIRTFT = Do It Right The First Time !

I like those rules of thumb, thank you. My intent is to have the lights on separate circuits. I know it will involve more wire but gives me more flexibility and I don't have to worry about overloading anything. I will be installing additional fuse blocks and relays to support this.