Taking out a stump, a BIG stump

/ Taking out a stump, a BIG stump
Ron, the little bit of rock digging I've done makes me stick to stumps. At least with them you have some idea of what you're going after. Seems when I go digging rocks, the biggest rocks like to show the least above ground.

Pete, don't need to worry about that bare earth. The head daffodil planter reports she has plans for that area in the fall planting.

Gary, it was a bur oak. At least that's what we call them around here. They're tough, long living, gnarly branches, make a great shade tree, but take forever to grow. Our champion tough tree is the bois d' arc, those things chew up chain saw chains, and take forever to decompose.

Thanks everyone for the responses. It's comforting to know there are others that understand why grown men play in the dirt.

Dave

/ Taking out a stump, a BIG stump #22  
Dave, great job, both the job and the pictures showing the work... With that big a hole and two hills of dirt, I do thank that you could have talked the "head daffodil" into the use of the dozer to get the root ball out, after she had a chance to stand next to the root ball.... Again great pic's.

/ Taking out a stump, a BIG stump #23  
KarmaKanic,

Just saw this thread about stump pulling. A big hardwood
with a tap root is a pure ^&*( to get out of the ground.

Next time, if you are unlucky enough to have to do this again,
trying hooking the chains up to the FEL. Then you might
be able to lift and back out at the same time.

Some times I can get my 4n1 to grab the stump but some
the big ones usually require a couple of chains. I have had a
few stumps that I barely got out of the ground. Not a good
feeling when you worked so hard to dig that beast out. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Later,
Dan McCarty

/ Taking out a stump, a BIG stump #24  
and we know who has the seniority lol

/ Taking out a stump, a BIG stump #25  
So what did you DO with the stump after you got it out?
Burn it?
Grind it?
Bury it, somewhere else?
/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

-Mike Z.
I have stumps out the wing-wang from 3 acres, piled in a gully. Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........................................

/ Taking out a stump, a BIG stump #26  
Well, at least you are filling up the gully./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Is a wing-wang anything like a ying-yang?/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

We do the same thing Mike,,,keep a bunch of brush piles scattered around the place. If we're clearing out an area and generating a lot of stuff, we'll usually burn it. But for the day to day stuff we pile it in low areas or gullies for erosion control and animal habitat. The stump in question got pushed down the hill to a pile tucked into the side of a pond dam.

The head daffodil planter is doing her best to camouflage the pile with wild climbing roses. But I like to watch the piles change over time as the animals take up residence and their little wood eating cousins start munching down. There's something reassuring about new life arising from rot. I often leave standing dead trees for the same reason.

Dave

/ Taking out a stump, a BIG stump #28  
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

burn it

<hr></blockquote>

/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

What does that mean.....
Unfortunately that was the plan. It was sitting for a year, ready to go. Then the drought hit. Burn-ban. I get special exception from the county, and fire-marshall. One day.
My main man shows up, on-time. Unplanned 35-45mph gusts
right behind him. We look, we think, I hand him a check NOT
to torch the neighborhood. Sorry, he says...........................

So into a gully it goes. Burn ban still in effect. Some nice BIG
old oaks around it. No torching anytime soon without killing more trees. Though they may die a slow death from silt suffication.

Plus, no kidding, it is SO dry, it would get out of control....

-Mike Z.
/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

<font color=blue>Is a wing-wang anything like a ying-yang?</font color=blue>

The wing-wang is on the opposite side from the ying-yang.
Or is the ying-yang opposite the wing-wang? I forget.

HTH, /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif
Dave

/ Taking out a stump, a BIG stump #30  
neither to be confused with:

wang-ying and

ying-wang

/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

-Mike Z.