Tales of running out of fuel (and the remedy).

/ Tales of running out of fuel (and the remedy). #51  
Like probably a bunch of others here, I do everything wrong according to the above recommendations. For fiberglass or steel tanks.

My storage tanks sit out in the weather on a stand, my tractors and vehicles do not sit in a sheltered shop with closed doors.

[You doing everything] Wrong? No, I don't believe so at all. (if you are then so am I!)

I have my bulk diesel tank setting on a wooden pallet. Cabbed tractor has no cover. Open-station tractor fits in a covered, open bay: same with my diesel Polaris. Probably 600 hrs on my Kioti since changing it's locking fuel cap and I have and ZERO issues: I'd gotten multiple instances of alerts prior to that.

I have a water filter on my bulk fuel tank as a precaution for the introduction of water from fuel delivery (I use a large, name-brand supplier; they're likely more fickle about their operations than others).

I have containers with old diesel sitting inside my unheated garage and I've never seen any condensation in them. Granted, none are metal.

I'll continue to state that concerns over condensation in fuel containers is WAY overblown, for non-commercial operators. But, by all means, those that actually are finding condensation in their fuel tanks should look to mitigate.

/ Tales of running out of fuel (and the remedy). #52  
I have a 55 gallon tank in the pickup bed for over 5 years
metal and still no water problems

If I ever get water in fuel will dump in a plastic container
of heet to take care of the water truckers use it

willy

/ Tales of running out of fuel (and the remedy). #53  
Williy, that's just it, people talk about the issue of condensation in some third-party way but never as firsthand experience. I am NOT saying that it does not or cannot happen, only that it's really not the issue that we're led to think it is.

If someone can give me test scenarios for checking on my metal diesel tank I'd be happy to perform some "research." Thinking that I need only pop off the fill cap and shine a light against the inside walls of the tank. When do people expect that I should see condensation?

Here's a decent reference for condensation, dew, fog etc.
Condensation | Forms of Condensation: Dew, Fog, Frost, Mist | Types of Clouds

Note that what many claim as condensation is really dew: dew forms in the open air (our conversation is about, more or less, closed spaces).

/ Tales of running out of fuel (and the remedy). #54  
Williy, that's just it, people talk about the issue of condensation in some third-party way but never as firsthand experience. I am NOT saying that it does not or cannot happen, only that it's really not the issue that we're led to think it is.

If someone can give me test scenarios for checking on my metal diesel tank I'd be happy to perform some "research." Thinking that I need only pop off the fill cap and shine a light against the inside walls of the tank. When do people expect that I should see condensation?

Here's a decent reference for condensation, dew, fog etc.
Condensation | Forms of Condensation: Dew, Fog, Frost, Mist | Types of Clouds

Note that what many claim as condensation is really dew: dew forms in the open air (our conversation is about, more or less, closed spaces).
Look for pitting on the interior surface and for microbe accumulation at the bottom.

PDFs from the Steel Tank Institute/Steel Plate Fabricators Association (STI/SPFA) on maintenance: Steel Tank Institute/Steel Plate Fabricators Association (STI/SPFA)View attachment 717459View attachment 717460

Last edited:
   / Tales of running out of fuel (and the remedy). #55  
I mostly get water from the supplier. I have purchase diesel in 5 gal can and had it set over night and can see the water in the bottom as I pour it into the tractor.
At work we have monitors in our underground tanks for water. We do not let anyone fill up after we dump fuel into the tanks that will stir it up. We also have filters on each pump.
I have a JD 450H dozer. Looking inside the tank, it is solid rust. I don't drain a lot of water out of the filters, but the last time I changed the filters, the inside tops of both filters were rust. So water is there. How much is condensation and how much was in the fuel to start, I don't know, But it is there.

/ Tales of running out of fuel (and the remedy). #56  
The same thing can happen in my shed with a metal roof. I lost a lot of things because I didn't realize how metal roofs condensate, then act like it's raining inside.
One warm early spring I still had a foot of snow on a shed and YES, it did rain inside from the dripping condensation, everything was soaking wet.

/ Tales of running out of fuel (and the remedy). #57  
Look for pitting on the interior surface and for microbe accumulation at the bottom.

PDFs from the Steel Tank Institute/Steel Plate Fabricators Association (STI/SPFA) on maintenance: Steel Tank Institute/Steel Plate Fabricators Association (STI/SPFA)View attachment 717459View attachment 717460
I'll look for condensation on the inside walls, but other than that it's of little concern for me (as I've already, after many years, seen that there's no real discernible impact). Tank was recently filled, in which case looking at the bottom is going to be a bit difficult (I'd think): maybe prior to next fill -about a year from now- I'll check.

/ Tales of running out of fuel (and the remedy). #58  
   / Tales of running out of fuel (and the remedy). #59  
I have a 55 gallon tank in the pickup bed for over 5 years
metal and still no water problems

If I ever get water in fuel will dump in a plastic container
of heet to take care of the water truckers use it

willy
Great idea with the heet :LOL: might want to do some research .:rolleyes: