Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #1  

snpower

Gold Member
Tractor
John Deere GT235, GT 275, 1025R
Looking to upgrade from my MS250. I've used it for seven years and loved it. However, it bogs down with some of my larger tree work. I have several acres, half is heavily wooded with mostly oak and some pine. I've slowly been clearing and plan on continuing to do so. I looked at the 271 and 291; the weight of the 261 is fantastic! I made a stop at our Echo dealer; the CS-590 seems great too but at the price point I wonder what might be missing? I'll be felling and sectioning 18" plus trees... The MS250 will live on and do smaller jobs (I think).

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #2  
Go with at least a 60cc you wont regret it, you are at 45cc with the ms250 and it bogs down, 10cc will make a difference but barely, never mind 5cc. Spend the money for a noticeable difference, not more of the same... I was happy with my 60cc until I try my dad 70cc now I want a 70 or a 80cc.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #3  
I have said numerous times it is the best saw to have. Lightweight, will run a 20" bar, will cut through hardwood with ease all day - you must keep your chain sharp!

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #4  
Go with at least a 60cc you wont regret it, you are at 45cc with the ms250 and it bogs down, 10cc will make a difference but barely, never mind 5cc. Spend the money for a noticeable difference, not more of the same... I was happy with my 60cc until I try my dad 70cc now I want a 70 or a 80cc.
The 261 has 33% more power to the bar than the 250…5 extra cc. That’s a fairly significant power increase, not really even comparable saws.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #5  
I have several acres, half is heavily wooded with mostly oak and some pine.
How big in diameter (DBH) are the trees?
If your cutting 30" oaks and up go with a 60CC saw. If it's like most of my woods that are regrowth from 40 years ago the 261 should suffice.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #6  
I have said numerous times it is the best saw to have. Lightweight, will run a 20" bar, will cut through hardwood with ease all day - you must keep your chain sharp!

I ran an 18" bar on my MS261. I am not quite as meticulous about chain sharpening as Jrasband.

Great saw!

Last edited:
   / Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #7  

I don’t necessarily disagree with the logic but a 261 is a lot more saw than a 250.

/ Talk Me In/Out of the Stihl MS261 #8  
The 261 has 33% more power to the bar than the 250…5 extra cc. That’s a fairly significant power increase, not really even comparable saws.
how are you getting the 33%? the 261 has 50cc (4hp) the 250 has 45cc (3hp) that's 10% power increase not 33%