Taller tire replacement

/ Taller tire replacement #1  

Randy Helms

Tractor
John Deere 5105, MF 135
I could not find a Firestone 14.9 x 28 tire to replace a damaged tire on my John Deere 5105 tractor with 4 wheel drive. Replaced with new 14.9 x 28 Carlisle tire. This tire is about 2 inches narrower and 3 or 4 inches taller than the Firestone. Will this cause damage to the drive train. (Will not use 4 wheel drive on pavement).

/ Taller tire replacement #2  
3-4" diameter change seems like a lot. One tire being significantly taller than the other also seems like an even worse scenario. I think you should reconsider.
The fronts generally slightly pull (lead) the rears, by up to 5% according to this www site Lead/Lag Tractor Tire Calculation | AGTireTalk
This site also discusses the potential damage(s) that may occur.
On edit: removed reference to front tire, not sure why I read this was on the front axle.

Last edited:
   / Taller tire replacement #3  
I could not find a Firestone 14.9 x 28 tire to replace a damaged tire on my John Deere 5105 tractor with 4 wheel drive. Replaced with new 14.9 x 28 Carlisle tire. This tire is about 2 inches narrower and 3 or 4 inches taller than the Firestone. Will this cause damage to the drive train. (Will not use 4 wheel drive on pavement).
You say you replaced "a" tire. Do you now have rear tires that are 3-4 inches different in diameter from each other?

/ Taller tire replacement #4  
Do you have the tractor tire mounted now? It may well change shape when mounted on the rim.

For normal 4x4 driving, you may have three differentials.

Right/Left differential (on each axle)
Front/Back differential.

In that case, your tractor may not care about tire sizes.

However, it you slam on the locker, it could give interesting results.

/ Taller tire replacement #5  
Spiders will be zinging
Had a couple customers turn their spider gears into metal shavings doing that takes awhile But makes me
Money.

/ Taller tire replacement #6  
Spiders will be zinging
Had a couple customers turn their spider gears into metal shavings doing that takes awhile But makes me
Money.
I tried to explain this on another forum that I was made out to be a dumba$$. Everyone sided with their "expert" who said it would not happen. Experience does not count.

/ Taller tire replacement
Thanks for the feed back. I guess I'll order another tire to match the new one. You know how hard it is for a 67 year old crippled fat guy to change a tractor tire alone?

/ Taller tire replacement #9  
I tried to explain this on another forum that I was made out to be a dumba$$. Everyone sided with their "expert" who said it would not happen. Experience does not count.
Well I will be dumbass with you 🤣🚜

/ Taller tire replacement #10  
I welcome the company :ROFLMAO:, nice to have another member of the club.