Tan Coon Skin

/ Tan Coon Skin #11  
Oops! You forgot to salt the hide. First chance you get, take hide out of the freezer and let it thaw. Before it gets warm but after it thaws, salt it down. The longer the salt stays on the hide the better off you will be. I've tanned several, including a bear, so I know of what I speak.
Get the salt on it and put it back in the freezer until you've familiarized yourself with the process. If your in a cold climate, you don't need the freezer and even if your not the salt should cure the hide and prevent the hair from slipping.
Someone mentioned Rittels..... great guy but I think he's gone out of biz or sold out. I have bought lots of stuff from him in the past but the last time I tried, he was nowhere to be found, so I bought from Mckenzie.
At any rate, tanning has been going on for....ever. It's like making beer, there is a dozen ways to get to finished, just pick one.
Tanning one or two small hides is not real efficient. Your going to need to buy more stuff than you need to get this little job done, so you might want to wait until you have few more.
Making sure the ph is correct is key to getting a proper finish, so get some litmus paper of the right range.
You have to get proper ph or your hide won't look and feel correct. You might also want to get a hygrometer or ( salimeter) to measure salinity, if this is something you are going to do more than once.
good luck:thumbsup:

/ Tan Coon Skin
Wow, many great tips and suggestions. Thank you!

I'm just trying to do this to prove to myself I can do it. I'd like to not hang them on the wall, but make coon hats for my kids.

I saw some fleshing boards and tools online, I think I could make a board out of 2x6 and use a machete as a makeshift fleshing tool.

This would be good stuff to know. Not something I'd do often.