'Tater quiz

/ 'Tater quiz #11  
I'd like to try growing potatoes some time in the future. How long do they last after harvesting? What's the best way to store them?

/ 'Tater quiz #12  
After reading this the other day I had to go out and dig a few hills even though it's early. Got some nice 'taters, enough for my wife to make up a big batch of red potato salad to go with dinner tonight. I've used old potatos and new seed. I prefer using the seed potatos. I have had good luck with using both. Next year I'm thinking about putting in about 1/4-1/2 acre of them under a power line right of way. Need something that the critters won't bother and the soil looks to good to let sit there.

Greg

/ 'Tater quiz #13  
we have had good luck storing potatoes and carrots by packing them in slightly moist sand. I use large plastic tubs, clean sand and pack them in layers. Put a loose cardboard cover over the tub to keep the light out.
We have also mulched carrots over the winter, leave them in the ground covered with a foot of hay; pull back the hay and dig when you need carrots. This might works with potatoes, has anyone done this?

/ 'Tater quiz #14  
one thing you can do for storage is to burry a 55 gal barrel slightly under ground, with full lid stor the taters in there in layers in wood crates so that you can pick up the top layer, 6" thick or so each layer. cover the drum top with a large wood/ steel cover so that rain/water can't get into the drum. use a bale of straw over the top too preven freezing. straw also works to help insulate the layers or news paper works too. this is info from an older tater lover at work as we discused it last week, I'm about to dig some and he was already diggin ghis, he has 3 drums burried this way, (no root sellers for us :( ) anyhow it is good to have some air movement in there if possable too... stack the RECTANGLE crates back forth so the wood supports the taters, he has well drianed soil and has holes in bottom of all his, I can't do that on my place as a hole over 6" deep fills with water in most days. I haven't done it yet, but will also make sure that the hole can't FLOAT up the drum, which can happen he stated...

mark M