TATRO GRAPPLES WITH WR LONG VALVES

/ TATRO GRAPPLES WITH WR LONG VALVES #11  
It looks like you used common black iron pipe fittings on the pressure side of the hydraulics, I don't know what system pressure you are working with but I would have expected to see forged fittings not cast ones.

/ TATRO GRAPPLES WITH WR LONG VALVES #12  
Hi Rob,
You did a great job on your Grapple. I just got one but not as big as yours is. The way you got it to work is very interesting to me with the dual setup. A grapple sure saves alot of time and I am always using mine for the brush and tree clean up. Makes life a bit easier with that. Nice work.
Glenn

/ TATRO GRAPPLES WITH WR LONG VALVES
Jinman,
Thanks for the tip on the grapple flipping over the top. I hadn't even given it a thought. I'll check it out this weekend to see how close the ones he made for me are to doing that. Has anyone else had that happen?

Turbo36,
You are right about the fittings. I can order the proper fittings from Surplus center (after seeing their selection) and replace them if you guys think it is mandatory. My system operates at 2300psi. Do you think they will blow? The steel hydraulic tubes for my loader are a lot thinner wall than the black pipe and I thought it might be Ok to use. Of course, they appear seamless extruded. What do you think?

The dual grapple set-up works really cool. It works just as I thought it would, clamping at different levels depending on the shape of the material being handled. It has that extra clamp to keep stuff from falling out when a single grapple arm would not make contact. Yes, it makes a HUGE difference in ease and speed cleaning up the property.

/ TATRO GRAPPLES WITH WR LONG VALVES #14  
Sweet looking setup. Definitely on my "wish list" (which also includes simply having a tractor. :( )

The standard "black iron" threaded fittings from your average plumbing store will be 150# malleable iron - rated for only 150 psi operating pressure. You may not be having trouble with leakage, but you are also probably asking for trouble. The pipe itself is not the weak point, but rather the strength of the fitting socket itself - which is already under stress due to the wedge action of the tapered pipe threads. It is possible to actually crack the fitting down the socket by tightening the pipe too much. Where you will likely see a failure is one of the fitting sockets actually bursting - possibly in the event of a pressure surge caused by hitting resistance fast and hard?

A good industrial piping supply company can get 3000# forged steel fittings, but they are substantially thicker and may not fit where you have the standard fittings now.

You are right, the steel tubing is thinner wall than the iron pipe you are using. BUT, the tubing, as you guessed, is annealed seamless tubing, whereas your pipe is most likely A53B carbon, which is rolled and welded. The strength of the pipe, however, is less likely to be an issue than the strength of the fitting and the joint. The hydraulic tubing is connected with one of four joints typically, which are rated at much higher pressures:
1) SAE threads (straight threads with an o-ring seal at the shoulder of the fitting).
2) Orbital butt-welded fittings (almost impossible to see because they are precisely welded with a special machine).
3) Swage-style compression fittings (i.e. Parker A-Lok, SwageLok, LettLok, etc).
4) SAE flange (funny looking oval-shaped four-bolt flanges, welded to the tube and using a recessed o-ring seal on the face - usually used in larger sizes).

The easiest of those to use is the compression style, and they can be ordered, along with the tubing and any tools to bend/work with them, through most industrial machine or mechanic supply shops. I believe McMaster-Carr and Grainger carry the Parker line of hydraulic fittings and parts (albeit probably not cheap).

/ TATRO GRAPPLES WITH WR LONG VALVES #15  
3RRL said:
Jinman,
Thanks for the tip on the grapple flipping over the top. I hadn't even given it a thought. I'll check it out this weekend to see how close the ones he made for me are to doing that. Has anyone else had that happen?

Yep, once before I figured out what was happening.

/ TATRO GRAPPLES WITH WR LONG VALVES #16  
PineRidge said:
Yep, once before I figured out what was happening.

It has happened to me a couple times also. Usually when I curl the bucket down with the grapple fully open and I inadvertantly catch it on something! I just pull the cylinder pin then extend the cylinder a little and reattach. Love the grapple though! Jason

/ TATRO GRAPPLES WITH WR LONG VALVES #17  
Is there a website for Andy Tatro grapples?

/ TATRO GRAPPLES WITH WR LONG VALVES #18  
Gig said:

He often sells them on Ebay (seller id is htatro)

/ TATRO GRAPPLES WITH WR LONG VALVES #19  
Gig said:

Let me know if you would like Andy's contact info if you would like, you may call him direct. Currently he has no eBay auctions running.