tax free diesel any ideas? tn?

/ tax free diesel any ideas? tn? #21  
The problem with reopening ancient threads is that many of the people involved are no longer active on TBN and will never see your response. In this thread, agcomike has not posted since July of 2003.

In the future, before responding in an inactive thread, check to see if the person who you're responding to has posted recently.

/ tax free diesel any ideas? tn? #22  
<font color="brown">I can't see why TN would require a farm #. Have you tried buying it at a local station?
================ </font>
<font color="purple"> I can because the people he's talked to don't know their A from a Hole in the ground.
I ran into the same thing here in my search to find red diesel.
</font>

/ tax free diesel any ideas? tn? #23  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( the only station that carries #2 offhighway oil is co-op (which is a farm supply outlet which requires a farm # for tax exemption).. the other stations only sale #2 onhighway or #1 all with the tax included..
)</font>
That CO_OP is full of it.
The exemption is based on off road VS on road use , it is not based on farm use VS non farm use.

/ tax free diesel any ideas? tn? #24  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( The problem with reopening ancient threads is that many of the people involved are no longer active on TBN and will never see your response. In this thread, agcomike has not posted since July of 2003.

In the future, before responding in an inactive thread, check to see if the person who you're responding to has posted recently. )</font>
The problem with not reopening them is they can't be up dated that way. Yer rite agcomike probably won't but current and more importantly todays and tomorrows new members and visitors probably will and the thread might just contain valuable or useful information for such readers be it something that I or someone else posted in that thread.

That would be fine except I am not nearly as concerned with reaching that particular poster as I am with reaching todays and tomorrows viewers with the information.

/ tax free diesel any ideas? tn? #25  
There's no need to re-open a thread simply so today's or tomorrow's members can gain value from it. That's what the Search function is for. It's also considerate to make sure that the additional post actually adds value and isn't simply a 'Me too' response. There are far too many daily posts on TBN to waste time reading a post in a reopened thread that simply says something like, "I do that too.".

BTW, the CO-OP isn't 'full of it'. They, or anyone else, can can set their own policy for selling dyed and un-dyed fuel. If they want to require a farm number, they can. Not to mention the fact that regulations can vary by state. What applies wherever you live doesn't apply everywhere and comments should be qualified as such.

/ tax free diesel any ideas? tn? #26  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( BTW, the CO-OP isn't 'full of it'. They, or anyone else, can can set their own policy for selling dyed and un-dyed fuel. )</font>

If you mean that the Co-op can restrict the selling of any given product (gloves, for instance) to any given individual, I guess you are right. They have a right to not transact business. It would be incredibly stupid of them to do so, since that is what they are in business to do--sell things. And since the laws that created dyed fuel in the first place place no restrictions on the seller of such fuel to determine whether the fuel will be used off road or not (the burden is entirely upon the end user), they are indeed "full of it" if they choose to make their own, imaginary rules and forego sales.

I suspect there is confusion at that Co-op on the policy regarding dyed diesel vs. off-road gasoline. Without dye, off-road gasoline has to be handled differently, i.e., the 'farm number' situation.

/ tax free diesel any ideas? tn? #27  
Well, we can each 'suspect' all we want. Since agcomike isn't around anymore, we wont know what the co-ops issue was.

/ tax free diesel any ideas? tn? #28  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( </font><font color="blueclass=small">( BTW, the CO-OP isn't 'full of it'. They, or anyone else, can can set their own policy for selling dyed and un-dyed fuel. )</font>
If you mean that the Co-op can restrict the selling of any given product (gloves, for instance) to any given individual, I guess you are right. They have a right to not transact business. It would be incredibly stupid of them to do so, since that is what they are in business to do--sell things. And since the laws that created dyed fuel in the first place place no restrictions on the seller of such fuel to determine whether the fuel will be used off road or not (the burden is entirely upon the end user), they are indeed "full of it" if they choose to make their own, imaginary rules and forego sales. )</font>

<font color="blue"> And since the laws that created dyed fuel in the first place do not place any restrictions on the seller of such fuel to determine whether the fuel will be used off road or not (the burden is entirely upon the end user),

1*they are indeed "full of it" if they choose to make their own, imaginary rules and forego sales.
</font> <font color="red">************ </font>
<font color="black"> You are correct they were out of line by making up there own rules as to who does and does not pay the taxes.

This is strictly a tax legal issue not a business matter.

</font>

/ tax free diesel any ideas? tn? #29  
Federal fuel tax for on-road (un-dyed) fuel is collected (invoiced) when the when the product leaves the bulk storage facility (ie. at the rack). To the best of my knowledge, that is a Federal law. The red dye is also usually added at the bulk storage facility and sometimes by the refiner, but not by the individual resellers or distributors. To the best of my knowledge, that is also Federal law.

When you hear of some retailer or distributor saying they added red dye to their fuel, well they are just blowing smoke because the federal portion of the tax has already been paid. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I also believe that it is a federal crime to add red dye to fuel after it has left the bulk storage facility.

Individual state tax collection methods may vary from state to state. Some shady resellers/distributor may be adding the dye here to save on the state tax but they are committing a federal crime in the process. If you hear of someone doing this I am sure the Feds and maybe the state revenue officers would be interested.

/ tax free diesel any ideas? tn? #30  
In Nashville there is a fuel distubution center on 28th ave just past Ted Rhodes golf course that advertises off road diesel for sale. I forgot to check the price last time I needed some but I will the next time. If anyone finds out the price before I get a chance too please post it.