Tazewell

/ Tazewell #1  

joshlee

Platinum Member
Tractor
Power Trac PT1430 Year made 2016
I was down at Tazewell on Friday and got to see the crew. When checking out the showroom I noticed that they updated some things. They have the new 425 with the Kholer engine and the shiny aluminium gas tank. So, I looked that over and noticed some little changes from the one I bought back in 2015. They use a different sealant for the gasket where the piston (tram) and gear pump bolt up together. Also, they have the new 1430 with the gas engine in there. The 1430 is now green! I should’ve asked more questions as to why they couldn’t go with a different diesel engine. This gas engine they put in it is 37 hp. They all said that business has been doing well 👍

I picked up a snowblower, boom pole, and a 12” auger, along with some filters.

/ Tazewell #2  
That's great to hear about Tazewell!

Tier IV diesel emissions reduced the number of players (and engines) while increasing the cost and complexity. Deutz finessed their Tier III air cooled diesel by making their engines oil cooled, but the latest Tier IV emissions basically require liquid cooling, DEF, and exhaust filters, all of which make for a much bigger engine. On all the new engines you aren't allowed to relocate anything on the exhaust at all, which will complicate things for PT.

I am interested to see what PT does when they run out of stockpiled engines...

All the best,

Peter

/ Tazewell #3  
That's a good question there Peter. For smaller machines from larger manufacturers (think JCB, Hitachi, Kubota, Bobcat, Deere, etc.) they will probably try to go electric wherever they can while the smaller players will probably go gasoline. Which way PT goes will probably depend on how many of the necessary components are available from independent sources. For instance, Kohler isn't "owned" by any one player so they can consolidate enough market volume to make engines available to many players at reasonable prices. That's going to be hard to do in the electric space until there's a "Kohler of electric power" that can do the same.

/ Tazewell
That's great to hear about Tazewell!

Tier IV diesel emissions reduced the number of players (and engines) while increasing the cost and complexity. Deutz finessed their Tier III air cooled diesel by making their engines oil cooled, but the latest Tier IV emissions basically require liquid cooling, DEF, and exhaust filters, all of which make for a much bigger engine. On all the new engines you aren't allowed to relocate anything on the exhaust at all, which will complicate things for PT.

I am interested to see what PT does when they run out of stockpiled engines...

All the best,

Peter
Thanks for clearing that up 👍 It makes better sense to me now.

I wanted to add that power trac does make their own hydraulic cylinders. That’s was one of the questions I asked.