TC 45D W/ SS HST PROBLEM

/ TC 45D W/ SS HST PROBLEM
In the smaller rotating group, one of the brass sleeves that the small pistons operate in disintegrated. Every thing else looked o.k. The tractor is still not back together yet,(six weeks now) and I still don't have a clue how much it will cost.

/ TC 45D W/ SS HST PROBLEM #12  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( It sounds to me like one of the rotating groups in the hydrostat it's self went bad. From the way you described it, I would guess it was the pump end, which unfortunately means the metal went all through the transmission. Make sure they replace the oil and both filters. )</font>

That would make sense to me. If the charge pump failed, the efficiency of the whole hydrostatic transmission would suffer, but the main pump might still be able to self-prime enough to keep running. With a pump failure as Phil describes, I'd be very worried about the motor end of the transmission because whatever came apart in the pump went straight to the motor also. I'd expect to see scoring and chafing in the motor's cylinders and swashplate. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I also gotta believe that if a single brass sleeved cylinder failed, it had a to be a faulty component when the pump was assembled. If multiple sleeves were bad, I'd look for other causes, but a single failure with the rest unaffected tends to point to an undiscovered faulty part when the transmission was manufactured. What a bummer! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif