TC18 in action: lawn renovation pics

/ TC18 in action: lawn renovation pics
Again, I appologize about the low image quality. I took some shots with the wife's 35mm. When I get them developed I will scan them & you might be able to see what I was doing!

In case you are wondering, the barn belongs to the neighbors. Too bad they don't take better care of it. Most of the windows are broken, needs new siding & roof. The inside is full of JUNK. Comes complete with a "leaning" cupola. It is post & beam & they seem straight, don't know if there is any water damage.

Rancar suggests I buy the barn from them & reconstruct it on our property. Might happen someday, the wife keeps noticing all the barns when we are driving around / walking the dogs.

/ TC18 in action: lawn renovation pics #12  
Looking good there. As an alternative to renting that landscape rake. You could make a cheap drag to get your final grade in. I use a railroad tie and a chain it works fairly good.

/ TC18 in action: lawn renovation pics #13  
<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

As an alternative to renting that landscape rake. You could make a cheap drag to get your final grade in. I use a railroad tie and a chain it works fairly good.

<hr></blockquote>

As Russ, mentioned, I used this method this past w/e.
But instead of a RR tie, we used about 5 feet of chain link fence, plus two landscaping timbers attached via tie-wire. The timbers also had nails in them. A nice touch for a "final" rake finish.

I believe the correct term for this tool is a harrow.

-Mike Z.

Russ & Mike,

Thanks for the tips. Part of the desire to rent a rake is I want to buy one. Hopefully I can show the wife how much faster we can scoop up the apple drops in our "orchard" after I finish grade the dirt.

/ TC18 in action: lawn renovation pics #15  
Great Job Hazmat,

Doesn't look like you used the loader there much. Did you have the soil hauled in or use the soil you had there already? The Chain link fence , and railroad tie ideas are great also. Just one more question did you wash that tractor before taking those pictures? /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif It looks pretty clean. Have fun, Kent

Kent,

Actually I did use the loader a bit. Moved two + yards of a combination of mulch / gravel / sand that was near the pool to the woods. Also a good amount of backdragging to help smooth the dirt.

The soil is what was there. It looks like decent dirt, but the lawn wasn't growing there. I am going to have it tested, & haul in top soil if I need to. Hopefully a little starter fertilizer is all I need.

The tractor is pretty dirty, one advantage of the low res camera is it hides every imperfection.

/ TC18 in action: lawn renovation pics #17  
Hazmat,

I use my Loader for backdragging a lot. Smooths out the top pretty nice. I had dust all over my Tractor for the last time, that I mowed. I got out the Pressure Washer , and cleaned it up really good this weekend. The Washer even takes all the grass, and dirt from under the MMM guards on top. I like it when the tractor is clean. I guess I'm getting picky in my old age. Anyway nice job on the lawn.

Kent

/ TC18 in action: lawn renovation pics #18  
Persoannally I love the landscape rake for its versatillity. Bought one four years ago, and haven't touched the rear blade since. In fact its now on the garage sale list.

/ TC18 in action: lawn renovation pics #19  
Nice work Stephen! /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

I just want to know one thing. When did NH start offering remote control on their tractors? /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif Everytime we saw a different pic, the tractor had moverd, but we never saw anyone on it! /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

I'd say you got a pretty good deal for $10! Those pics turned out alright!

Thanks!

<font color=blue> When did NH start offering remote control on their tractors? </font color=blue>

I was the only one home. Since it was unseasonably hot, every time I stopped for a water break, I snapped some shots. I know, I need to get a Chaulky cup installed!

Called the nearest rental place yesterday regarding renting a landscape rake. They wanted $100 for the day!!!!! I've started getting quotes to buy one. Brought it up with the wife last night, it did not go over well/w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif. I got the "Is it a priority? mini lecture. I think this requires a different defense than the "Isn't it extravagant?". Now I need to decided between a rake and an aerator, because I ain't gettin' both. (At least not at the same time).

For the short term, I am going to call around to hopefully find a more reasonable rental rate. I was mentally prepared for $40-60 a day. Also, I have some old chain link fence in the basement, might have to rig a drag up per earlier advice.

For the long term, I am thinking about doing side work with the tractor part time. Trying to put together the business plan this fall & open for business in the spring. After buying a trailer, more implements/w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif the insurance etc. If I break even, at least my tractor "habit" will be self sustaining.