TC24DA broken seat....time for a diet?

/ TC24DA broken seat....time for a diet? #1  

JSUnlimited

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland
I broke the seat where it mounts in the front. Has anybody else had this problem? The dealer of course is going to fix it under warranty. Being 6'3" and 230 to 235 lbs. I guess I lean back more than I thought. Anyways, you guys out there with TC24DAs' check your seat bracket mounting points for stress/possible failure.

Attachments

• 666491-TBN1.jpg
    666491-TBN1.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 573
   / TC24DA broken seat....time for a diet? #2  
First I've heard of this. The TC18, TC21 and TC24 all share the same seat. Owners of all 3 might want to double check.

/ TC24DA broken seat....time for a diet? #3  
/forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif YOU TAKE FIVE POUND DUMPS!!!!!!

Dude I feel sorry for ya. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ TC24DA broken seat....time for a diet? #4  
Wonder if the seats in the Northern Tool catalog would fit? Mine isn't broken, but I wish it would break. I can't believe NH puts a cheap lawnmower seat on a $15,000 tractor. An average sized man needs something wider, with more padding, and bolsters. I bet that would really help the time go faster when mowing for 4 hours at a time.

/ TC24DA broken seat....time for a diet?
Well......I don't really take 5 pound dumps, but I swear it sometimes it feels like it!

have_blue,
I like the seat but not the mounting. Search for Compact1's posts. He had pics of some armrests that mounted to the seat we have. I did not know they were available.

I guess if you want it to break, have_blue, then just lean back. In about 2 months or 73 hours it will happen!

/ TC24DA broken seat....time for a diet? #6  
I just checked the manual...at 6'-3" and 235 # you're supposed to have a TC45 !!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ TC24DA broken seat....time for a diet? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( First I've heard of this. )</font>

Bob,

I seem to recall Lageorge having the sheet metal break on his first "problem" TC-24 and checking mine when it was delivered. It is a weak link in the seat system. My pivot bolts where the seat tilts forward are constantly coming loose, and I notice when I check them after tightening, the sheet metal flexes very easily. It is only a matter of time before it will fatigue and break, especially given the design of the seat with the spring suspension. I'm a fairly small guy (165lbs) and I still worry about it. There isn't even much metal to work with if you needed to weld it.

Brad

/ TC24DA broken seat....time for a diet? #8  
Well, I can add my name to the list of those with the broken seat mount. I had one side on mine break this weekend, so I pulled the panel. The other side was well on its way. I will contact New Holland and let them know what happened, as well as my dealer. I don't think my tractor is under warranty anymore, but maybe they will cover it. It looks like that sheet metal piece that breaks is now up to $350, so if no warranty coverage or recall, I will use what I have and overbuild it.

/ TC24DA broken seat....time for a diet? #9  
Three years ago I came close to buying a TC24DA. After reading this thread, I'm glad I missed out on the last one available on the lot. I liked everything about the tractor, especially the ergonomics.

/ TC24DA broken seat....time for a diet? #10  
I've got the same cracks on my TC18, but I haven't done anything about them yet since I discovered them last year, other than losing 75 pounds (but that wasn't because of the seat issue).

I'll look at building some sort of brackets as a repair eventually when I get around to it but it hasn't caused any downtime for me yet and I've got some other more important things occupying my time lately...

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    123.5 KB · Views: 163
  • 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 84