Price Check TC29D Price Check

/ TC29D Price Check #1  

toolman

I am looking to buy a TC29D Hydro, 4wd, Turf Tires and No Super Steer. With a 60" MMM and the 7308 HD FEL. The dealear qutoed me $18,750 before the dreaded taxes. Does this sound like a good price? I am still tinkering with the idea of a 72" mmm, he said it would be an additional $500. Thanks in advance for any info.

/ TC29D Price Check #2  
he should include the 72" mid mount mower for that price he is very high!

/ TC29D Price Check
Spencer. Thanks for the feedback. I got quotes from two other dealers in my area today and unfortunately they were both a couple of hundred bucks higher then my previous quotes. (i am going the wrong direction on price). None of the dealers want to haggle. Have you seen where some markets seem to dictate a much higher price? They all seem to be take it or leave it. I was hoping i could get one of the dealers to budge and go from there but it didn't work.

/ TC29D Price Check #4  
Toolman,
I'm having the same problem. Does geographic location dictate price? I hope Spencer reads this and replies. He's a dealer ya know (sounds like a good one too). Spencer, if ya read this, where about are you located? Give us some negotiating tips!

/ TC29D Price Check #5  
I know from reading here that tractor prices vary widely from geographic region to region. In WV, we have a dealer that has some of the very best prices Ive seen on Kubotas. (Even better than Carvers) There is also a dealer here that charges more then retail for some products. Talk about extremes.

In the Northern Mid-West I understand that John Deere dealers beat both NH and Kubota dealers by a wide margin on price, because of JD's higher markup. In my area, even with the discounts they are offering right now, JD is higher then Kubota or NH. A JD dealer just smiles and starts talking about resale value when you suggest the prices are too high.

What irks me is that (to the best of my knowledge) all dealers buy these items for exactly the same price. Why one wants substantially more for the same thing is beyond me. I will concede that shipping distance might make a slight difference in price, but it would have to be on a truck traveling by way of Brazil to justifying the thousand of dollars difference i see from shipping costs alone. The difference must either be overhead costs, or dealer greed, maybe both.

Like I said, im my area, we have some dealers willing to give a fair deal (except for JD /w3tcompact/icons/sad.gif). Maybe some more looking around is in order?

Jon

/ TC29D Price Check #6  
I think that dealer markups will vary not only by local competition but also by what tractor segment the dealer focuses on.

For instance, if a dealer's primary bread 'n butter is large ag then compacts could tend to be a customer service add on, not worried about making money on these items. If however the dealer is primarily a consumer (as JD calls them) compact tractor sales oriented place then the dealer won't have the big bucks rolling in from the large equipment sales and will need to have somewhat healthier margins and yet try to remain competitive.

It seems that it could also vary by whether the dealer is focused on markup % or markup $. Spencer has talked about a 7% markup. As someone who used to own a retail store (health food) that feels awfully small to me. There is no way I could have survived on that small a gross margin.

What seems like a healthy margin %? How many units would a good dealership sell per month? How much would their overhead $ for that level of sales?

/ TC29D Price Check #7  
I believe you are right in your assessment about the primary business of the dealer making a difference. The Kubota dealer that I mentioned that has such good prices is a Case construction equipment dealer primarily. Im sure Kubota compacts are just a way to generate a little extra cash flow and they dont depend on it to survive.

As a consumer though, I really dont care why a dealer has a particular price, I want the best possible deal. If a dealer pays alot of rent on a building, or doesnt keep close tabs on labor costs, etc., they will have to charge more for the equipment they sell. Im not sure that I want to buy from such a place, they could easily mismanage things to the point they have to close.

Well established dealers will likely have lower overhead costs, and thus lower prices, at least in my experience. They also have the most knowledgeable salespeople.

Jon

/ TC29D Price Check #8  
<font color=blue>As a consumer though, I really dont care why a dealer has a particular price, I want the best possible deal....If a dealer pays alot of rent on a building...they could easily mismanage things to the point they have to close. Well established dealers will likely have lower overhead costs, and thus lower prices, at least in my experience.</font color=blue>

The dealer I bought from was the lowest in my area and was in business for around 30 years. About 11 months after I bought they went out of business. Mismanaged? Maybe, I don't know enough to pass judgement. Now I have to work with other dealers and have to create new relationships.

/ TC29D Price Check #9  
A good dealer will sell at least one compact a day and 7% is more than a healthy profit when you sell this many. You are dealing with a lot more money than a health food store item so 7% is more money per sale.

/ TC29D Price Check #10  
Wow, a good dealer sells at least one unit a day. But if an average unit sells for $20k that would be $1400 gross profit. From this the overhead of payroll, rent/mortgage, utilities, capital investments, etc seems like it would leave very little. How brutally competitive is the tractor business?