TC30 Magic - made 2 gallons of HST fluid disappear!

/ TC30 Magic - made 2 gallons of HST fluid disappear! #1  

ksshooter

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC30
Help! I have owned this tractor less than 6 months but sometime after I bought it and checked all fluids I have lost over 2 gallons of HST hydraulic fluid!!
Tractor sounded very "whiny" yesterday afternoon, like it was either very cold or under strain and it was not cold out so after taking care of feeding horses I checked the fluid level behind the rear seat. SURPRISE AND SHOCK.
It was kept undercover on gravel for the first two months I owned it (until the ROPS was shortened) but it has been indoors on a concrete floor for three months and there are NO LEAKS. Did I squirt it out somewhere and there is no telltale drip left behind. I hope I have not damaged the transmission:(. I did take an extended road run with it when I had the welding work done to it. 14 mile round trip mostly on back roads at full speed. I guess all I can do is monitor the level everytime I use it. Any ideas what I should look at or look for? Should I replace the fluid and filter (with the high pressure filter)?

/ TC30 Magic - made 2 gallons of HST fluid disappear! #2  
Check your engine dipstick. If your hydraulic pump's shaft seal is leaking, it will pump hydraulic fluid into the engine crankcase. If you change engine oil and the quantity is huge or you check the dipstick and the level is too high, the hydraulic pump is in need of a seal replacement.

/ TC30 Magic - made 2 gallons of HST fluid disappear!
I will do it as soon as I return home today. I did change the fluid in late November or early December with a Synthetic lighter oil for Winter. Before that I am sure it was fine.
I will report back. Thank You!

/ TC30 Magic - made 2 gallons of HST fluid disappear! #4  
Hooking up implements that use hydraulic fluids, such as a cylinder can syphon off fluid without a leak, depending on the position that you leave it in, especially if you share that implement with somebody else, or it is a high storage unit (a large cylinder, etc). That could be where your fluid went, but shouldn't be a continuous problem.
David from jax

/ TC30 Magic - made 2 gallons of HST fluid disappear! #5  
you'd have to hook onto several new implements with empty cylinders to loose 2 gal of oil. after an implement has been used once and the cylinders filled, you may loose a little, but not more than a 1/2 cup at a time i'd guess unless you're really sloppy at plugging things in. The exception would be a 1 way cylinder that you leave up one time, and down the next...one time you'd be low on oil, the next over full.

All of that is working off the assumption that the transmission and hydraulic system uses a common sump...and what area the op checked...if it was the rear end or the transmission. I don't know that tractor, but on several models, the transmission oil and hydraulics are 2 seperate check ports, fill holes, and don't mix inside the cases.

The only check point I know of is behind the rear seat and that would be in the rear end assembly. I know I have a filter for hydraulic and an HST filter but I have not had to deal with them yet.
I guess I thought it was a common reservoir but I doubt that I am correct. It does use the same fluid type in all locations. Now I am feeling rather dumb. I also know I checked the front axle fluid (same stuff) but I think that fluid is static (unpumped). Now I am thinking I do not have a clue where to check the "hydraulics system" fluid level.
I have not changed any hyraulic implements on this tractor yet. I have a new grapple but it is not plumbed for it yet. Still saving pennies and deciding if I just do the diverter or throw the dual rear remote valve downline from the PB on the FEL valve post.

/ TC30 Magic - made 2 gallons of HST fluid disappear! #7  
The only check point I know of is behind the rear seat and that would be in the rear end assembly. I know I have a filter for hydraulic and an HST filter but I have not had to deal with them yet.
I guess I thought it was a common reservoir but I doubt that I am correct. It does use the same fluid type in all locations. Now I am feeling rather dumb. I also know I checked the front axle fluid (same stuff) but I think that fluid is static (unpumped). Now I am thinking I do not have a clue where to check the "hydraulics system" fluid level.
I have not changed any hyraulic implements on this tractor yet. I have a new grapple but it is not plumbed for it yet. Still saving pennies and deciding if I just do the diverter or throw the dual rear remote valve downline from the PB on the FEL valve post.

Check out this site...Messick's ..it will give you diagrams of your hydraulic system...scroll down the page until you see the section on hydraulics...hope this helps..

New Holland TC-Series Service

Checked the oil...perfect! Checked the hydraulic fluid by opening the yellow cap again...I AM FEELING EXTREMELY STUPID!!!:eek:
Fluid was gone again.....looked to the right and saw the DIP STICK!!! Holy Fluids Batman this says I am OVERFUL.:eek::eek::eek: Yes, I was filling to the top of the yellow plug. Egg on my face and extremely embarrassed. I THANK ALL WHO GAVE ME GUIDANCE..I just need someone to give me a BRAIN! I will drain the overfilled condition and perhaps the redness will drain from my face about the same time.
Sorry to bother all of you. BRIN...good link! Thanks!!!

/ TC30 Magic - made 2 gallons of HST fluid disappear! #9  
We all do "brainless" things on occasion...
David from jax

/ TC30 Magic - made 2 gallons of HST fluid disappear! #10  
ks - don't beat yourself up....that hydraulic fluid is so clear that it is really hard to see on that little black rubber dip stick...I have to have a lot of light and my glasses when I check mine and even then I run my finger down the tip of the dip stick until I hit the oil....When I first got mine...I overfilled it too...