Tc30 starting issue

/ Tc30 starting issue #1  

Jgolden

Tractor
Tc30
I got a new Holland tc30 that's not starting right when trying to start it sounds like it's got a bad battery. Battery is good and has new starter. I cleaned all the cables still doing the same thing after i put new starter in. When i first try to start it it won't do anything i turn key switch on and off a few time's then it tries to start but sounds like it's not getting enough juice. Ive checked all the wire's no issues. I'm wondering if it might be the key switch could this be the issue??

/ Tc30 starting issue #2  
Welcome to TBN...

This is info I have posted prior about the TC's & the battery cable issues... If you haven't tested them, you should... they have been know to go bad internally, even with no external signs. I would test this prior to putting any other parts on...
Prior post:

Have you tested your battery cables? If not I would start there....

Cable Test:
Older New Holland battery cables often corrode inside the terminal where it is sometimes impossible to see; not sure it was an issue with your particular yr / model... You will often have voltage so everything seems good. (gauges & all are working). So you will have voltage but they will not supply the required Amperage.

You can test if there is an issue with your existing battery cables pretty simply.

Remove the negative battery cable & then take a negative jumper cable wire and place it on the bare negative post of your tractor battery. Connect the other end to a solid clean ground of the tractor (bare metal location). Try starting the tractor & see if that makes a difference...

If that doesn't change anything you can do the same process on the positive post. Disconnect the Negative jumper from the Battery terminal. Then using your positive jumper cable attach one end to where the positive battery cable connects to the starter (connect this end first), and the other end to the positive battery post (last). Make sure the jumper cable is not able to arc to near by metal. Now reconnect the Negative jumper cable to the battery & try starting the tractor again & see if that changes anything...

Doing this process you basically bypassed the battery cables on the machine, and then can troubleshoot from there. I wouldn't put any more parts on it (or money into it) till I checked the factory cables...

I would also recommend installing a dedicated aux. starter relay; it eliminates a lot of issues. This circuit shares the voltage source that the glow plug timer uses (& I believe passes through some of the safety switches). Overtime the wiring & connection get dirty / lose there ability to pass the voltage. You can modify the current wiring & add a dedicated relay for supplying direct power to the starter solenoid via the same circuits. I did this on our TC40D & it made a big difference for our machine.

Attachments

• Starting Circuit Modification.pdf
    99.3 KB · Views: 100
   / Tc30 starting issue #3  
The starter circuit modification dlctcg mentions is has been used by several (including me) to solve this sort or problem. It is covered in one of the two sticky threads at the top of this page, and I posted all the NAPA part numbers there when I did this last fall.

Battery cables... yes, I agree there too. They have been known to have internal issues that you can't detect with resistance checks, only voltage while trying to start. When you say "it tries to start but sounds like it's not getting enough juice" that makes me think of the battery cable.

As far as the ignition switch. That is possible too. Several others have documented this. You can use NAPA P/N KS6600, as described here:
Except, both red wires should go the the +BAT terminal. (The way davcon did in in the post isn't right, but doesn't really matter. The factory NH switch has two terminals for +12V and the NAPA switch has only one.)

/ Tc30 starting issue #4  
I 2nd the battery cable solution. I had pretty much the same problem a while back, cables looked fine. I bit the bullet and bought new ones, fired right up as if it was brand new.