TC33 Starter Problem

/ TC33 Starter Problem #1  

Noytheyah

Tractor
NH TC33
I just replaced the clutch in my TC33 (first time doing this job). When I got to the starter I replaced it because I think the old one was giving me problems. I would get a grinding sound sometimes while the tractor was cranking. Got the new starter on and it just spins. I changed the battery and same result. I took the starter off and bench tested the new and old, both bendixs engage and spin. I reinstalled the old stater and it now does the same thing, just spins. I unbolted the starter and “bench tested” it while connected to the tractors electric, both bendixs engage and spin just like last time. The flywheel doesn’t have any broken teeth or badly worn teeth so just in case I rotated the engine to a new spot on the flywheel. I finally tried a new battery cable and still just spins.

I did replace the 3 relays and relay terminals because mine were very corroded. I’m reasonable certain I hooked all the wires back where they came from. My lights now work and the glow plug heating circuit seems to be functioning properly. I even bypassed the starting circuit when I was testing on the tractor just to see if I got any different results. There’s very little adjustment room but I’ve installed pushed all the way down and all the way up, no change either way.

Any ideas??????

Thanks.

/ TC33 Starter Problem #2  
throw a booster on it, not enough amperage does not kick out the bendix.

/ TC33 Starter Problem
The bendix is popping out, are
You saying it should be going out further?

/ TC33 Starter Problem #4  
When testing, does the bendix slam toward the nose of the starter when the armature zips up to speed?

/ TC33 Starter Problem #5  
The bendix is popping out, are
You saying it should be going out further?
if the starter spins, but the engine doesn't then the bendix while installed in the tractor is not coming out, especially if you see no signs of flywheel damage

/ TC33 Starter Problem #6  
if the starter spins, but the engine doesn't then the bendix while installed in the tractor is not coming out, especially if you see no signs of flywheel damage
...or the bendix on both starters are slipping. The odds of that would be very rare. The bendix is just a one-way clutch. You can use a finger to see if it freely moves one way but locks up the other way.

/ TC33 Starter Problem
When testing, does the bendix slam toward the nose of the starter when the armature zips up to speed?
Yes, it appears it comes out about an inch or so.

/ TC33 Starter Problem
That’s what it seems and is so puzzling. Why would it activate everytime I test it while not installed? I thought maybe it was hitting the flywheel but I don’t see any evidence of it.

Last edited:
   / TC33 Starter Problem #9  
Is this starter being run backwards somehow?

/ TC33 Starter Problem
I don’t think so. Both bendixs advance the same distance and turn the same direction.