TC33D Glow Plug Timer

/ TC33D Glow Plug Timer #21  
Mike glad you were able to make a fix yourself. I'll be following your lead shortly as it seems lately that my timer has a mind of its own, like coming on after the tractor has been running for 30 minutes or so.

/ TC33D Glow Plug Timer #22  
Thats what mine did too. The part listed here is the right one and around $60. That should fix it.

mike

/ TC33D Glow Plug Timer
Mine did the same thing, only the timer wasn't the problem, it turned out to be the ignition switch.

I mentioned above that bench testing the timer might be difficult because it seems to only malfunction for brief periods after running the tractor for a while.

/ TC33D Glow Plug Timer #24  
This forum was extremely helpful in trouble shooting a similar problem. My glow plug indicator light and glow plugs were working intermittently. After reading this forum, I replaced the glow plug timer (P/N SBA385870301 - appears to be the latest model, as my original part was marked as a SBA385870300). Totally fixed the problem and I was told by the NH dealer that the timer is usually the first thing they recommend owners to replace for this type of problem. Part was about $65. Thanks to all who shared their previous experiences.

Tractor = 2000 model year New Holland TC33D

/ TC33D Glow Plug Timer #25  
This forum was extremely helpful in trouble shooting a similar problem. My glow plug indicator light and glow plugs were working intermittently. After reading this forum, I replaced the glow plug timer (P/N SBA385870301 - appears to be the latest model, as my original part was marked as a SBA385870300). Totally fixed the problem and I was told by the NH dealer that the timer is usually the first thing they recommend owners to replace for this type of problem. Part was about $65. Thanks to all who shared their previous experiences.

Tractor = 2000 model year New Holland TC33D

Welcome to TBN. You'll find a great wealth of information here. I had a similar issue as yours a number of years ago.

/ TC33D Glow Plug Timer #26  
What has happend to our tractors and this country - I have a John Deere 3020 that I bought used from a row crop farmer 25 yrs. ago and I have had only a couple of minor problems with it in all that time. I also have a 2000 NH TC -29 with FEL and 350 hrs. now and have to lock the clutch pedal down with a rock when I park it or the clutch will rust even though it is kept inside a tempreature controlled environment. Things just are not made to last anymore I guess. I agree with the machine shop...someone can fix you up for a whole lot less than 8K.

/ TC33D Glow Plug Timer #27  
This covers the Class IIIs, see if it will apply to your timer.

My glowplug indicator light is not coming on, and the tractor won't start when it's cold. After reading this old post, I thought it was the timer, but I troubleshot it as the instructions said in this .jpg (page 2 of this thread) supplied by Pineridge and the timer seems to be fine.

If the timer is getting power, and it seems to be working with a test light properly, what is next? Which relay is for the glowplugs? Is there a way to test the relay?

Thanks

/ TC33D Glow Plug Timer #28  
My glowplug indicator light is not coming on, and the tractor won't start when it's cold. After reading this old post, I thought it was the timer, but I troubleshot it as the instructions said in this .jpg (page 2 of this thread) supplied by Pineridge and the timer seems to be fine.

If the timer is getting power, and it seems to be working with a test light properly, what is next? Which relay is for the glowplugs? Is there a way to test the relay?

Thanks

If you did the test PineRidge suggested, you never checked the timer in the circuit. Is that correct? You don't also have problems with your alternator too, do you? Fuse #1 supplies glow plug power and also the voltage regulator input to the alternator. It should be the first thing you check.

There is a separate relay for actual glowplug power and the lights. Glowplug power is relay K3 and the lights run off of relay K9. Glowplug light power is from Fuse #4. I'm attaching a diagram that shows where your relays are.

BTW: Do you have an Owner's Manual? If so, turn to page 3-37, frame 2 of the electrical diagrams. The glowplug bus bar is shown with power coming from relay K3 and K3 is controlled by relay K4, the glowplug timer relay. Both of these get their power from the 7.5 amp fuse #1.

Attachments

• A-relays.jpg
    A-relays.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 10,892
   / TC33D Glow Plug Timer #29  
Finally figured out it was the timer. Funny thing is, I can wiggle the upper black wire and the glow plugs will work. The break in the timer relay is not visable to the naked eye (even when you pop the back off the little booger) But it is a mechanical break as like I said, I can wiggle the one wire, and though nothing is visible, it makes the connection needed to do the job. I can either leave the cover off and wiggle every time, or I can cough up the $$ and replace the part... ggggrrrrr, parts are so frustratingly expensive!

Thanks

/ TC33D Glow Plug Timer #30  
thanks guys, this site is a wealth of knowledge. I could hear my glow plugs working, so I knew it was just the light. I had no idea where to start until I found this post. The wires to the light timer had worked loose and caused the fuse to blow for all the lower lights on the instrument cluster. Thanks again.