TC35 rusted clutch

/ TC35 rusted clutch #61  
No, actually I did not know that. The only experience I have had with water and oil was crankcase oil. In that case you can see them separate on the dip stick if you know what to look for. I did not know they would go to solution when it's trans oil. thank you.

Not soloution... oil emulsifies in water, sans addition of a polar solvent..

Soloution involves disolving a material.

suspensions is suspending a materila.

all different.

Now.. you can add a polar solvent to oil, and it can solvate some water..

things like transtune by seafoam is a dewatering agent for trans / hyd sumps, and it does exactly that.

for instance.. rubbing alcohol is a polar solvent.. water is polar.. as a neat test take a test tub half full of gas.. put in 2 drops of water.. see it set clearly sefined at the bottom.. fill 90% tot he top with 90% rubbing alcohol.. now agitate.. where's the water go? ( nowhere.. still there.. just all broken up! )

soundguy

/ TC35 rusted clutch
Not soloution... oil emulsifies in water, sans addition of a polar solvent..

Soloution involves disolving a material.

suspensions is suspending a materila.

all different.

Now.. you can add a polar solvent to oil, and it can solvate some water..

things like transtune by seafoam is a dewatering agent for trans / hyd sumps, and it does exactly that.

for instance.. rubbing alcohol is a polar solvent.. water is polar.. as a neat test take a test tub half full of gas.. put in 2 drops of water.. see it set clearly sefined at the bottom.. fill 90% tot he top with 90% rubbing alcohol.. now agitate.. where's the water go? ( nowhere.. still there.. just all broken up! )

soundguy

Good to know, thank you.

/ TC35 rusted clutch
Well I don't know if any of you people will work your way back to this old thread but for the hard core blogger's ... The tractor is doing great. I had the oil tested by a lab and they report "no water present". I'm going to assume the water level (and there was standing liquid water in the bell housing, I estimate just shy of 1 gallon) was not quite high enough to reach the level of the bearing into the transmission. So the trans was not polluted by the water. If you are new at this tractor fascination like I am I'm gonna tell you two things to remember ... One: always block the clutch so the rust doesn't get you like it did me. Two: on a regular basis (if you have one) reach under the bell housing and spin the cotter key to make sure the weep hole is open and free of debris (there to drain the bell housing of condensation). If someone (the seller) had made mention of those two things it would have saved me several days time ...............................
On the other hand I would not have found all the really great people who helped me through this problem ......... now I don't know what to say ... so
Gentlemen, friends thank you for your time and experience. I'm obliged..

/ TC35 rusted clutch #64  
That is good news , and thanks for the update . I wonder if a cable tie zipped around the base of the cotter pin and hanging down would help . I'm thinking , every time you run over some long grass it would move the cotter pin and keep the hole clear .

/ TC35 rusted clutch #65  
Newhollandharley, your experience played out here with full descriptions and pictures will stay in my mind for a long time. My wife and I just sold a property with house and barn to a fellow with a TC35A with only 29 hours on it. I will relate your experience to him with all the associated cautions. He's had enough problems lately with somebody setting a fire behind his house and worrying about layoffs at his job. Last night, he called us to say he had totalled his car and spent the night in the hospital in San Antonio due to having an accident while leaving the base during a drill weekend. He sure doesn't need any more bad luck.:(

/ TC35 rusted clutch #66  
You guys got to my wife:D:D,

The other day in the shop she takes a flashlight and craws under the New Holland which she calls hers now, we'll she gets down there and hollers out that mine has a carter pin sticking out and the hole is clean and gives it a twist with her fingers:D.

I've got to mention she was a Jet Engine Mech in the AF when we met, she gets out there and gets just as dirty as I do working together be it a tractor, mower or our trucks or motorcycles she is right there helping.

/ TC35 rusted clutch #67  
Sometimes ya get lucky!

soundguy

/ TC35 rusted clutch #68  
Hi,

Wow, this is great. I'm new to the tractor ownership club and just posted a stuck clutch inquiry. A serch sent me to this post. This sounds exatly like my problem with my '95 NH 1715. Cotter pin was rusted in place and when opened up only a trickle of water came out, but the indication is that thats enough to rust up the innards. So far I have not been able to bust this clutch loose. I will keep trying for awhile befor resorting to splitting the tractor. Man you'd think ther'd be a warning to block the clutch if so many of these things have this problem. Thanks all for all the info. This is a great site.

/ TC35 rusted clutch #69  
Keep at it.. I just busted a NAA clutch free that had been setitng up in a barn for a few years..

keep it blocked a few days.... then try buming the starter over with tractor in high gear...

soundguy