Backhoe TC35 / TC40 / TC45 with or without backhoe?

/ TC35 / TC40 / TC45 with or without backhoe? #1  

dgeesaman

Silver Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
Hello,

I'm getting close to making offers to buy one of the above models.

My primary need is to drag arenas, lift large square hay bales, clear snow with the loader, and pull posts and small trees. For this I was looking at a TC35 to 45 with 16LA loader.

There is a TC35D with OEM backhoe for sale locally. There is also a TC45DA without backhoe for sale locally. We do have some minor ditch digging and stuff to do so my wife suggested the one with backhoe. On the other hand, we can spend less for the TC45DA and rent excavating equipment for a long time before the backhoe would pay for itself.

What things do the backhoe interfere with (3 pt, hitch?) and how much trouble is it to make them accessible?

Given the size of machine, does the NH backhoe have enough grunt to do useful work? (Not cutting through rocks or rolling boulders, just digging into hard, silty soil).

David

/ TC35 / TC40 / TC45 with or without backhoe? #2  
Regardless if Backhoe is Sub-frame mount or 3 point mounted , it will have to be removed for any 3 point attachments to be used . Sub-frame mount also blocks the use of a draw bar even with B.H. removed as the sub-frame parts left on tractor after removal , block the attachment area of the draw bar . I have a TC 30 with the 757C sub-frame B.H. , Takes me all of about 10 minutes to either connect it up or drop it , put my homemade quick hitch on and hook to the multiple 3 point attachments I have , ( Disk , Brush mower , land plane , sprayer , etc... ) . Although not a " Big " commercial grade backhoe , it does pretty dang good in the hard clay soil around here . It was really handy in our new house project back in 2005 . Contractor commented on the fact that I was able to get a lot of things done in places that they would not of been able to get into with a larger backhoe .

When we purchased tractor in 2003 , we had no idea if we would use backhoe at all , but it sure has been nice having it since then .

Fred H.

/ TC35 / TC40 / TC45 with or without backhoe?
Thanks for the feedback. How would it change without the home-made hitch attachment?

/ TC35 / TC40 / TC45 with or without backhoe? #4  
I used to have TC40D with a 758C backhoe. It was sub-frame mounted and once removed did not interfere with the drawbar or any other 3 point operation. It did however prevent me from using a mid-mount mower. It would take 5 to 10 minutes to install and remove. I was able to us it to dig over 2500 ft. of trench in hard packed Michigan clay. A mini excavator would have been faster as you have to get off the backhoe and onto the tractor to reposition. This is the main reason I did not buy a backhoe for the new tractor, too much money and not as convenient as a rented mini excavator.

/ TC35 / TC40 / TC45 with or without backhoe? #5  
Next to the FEL, I use the BH most often.
Would never want another tractor with out 1. Only time it has been off the tractor was to use a post hole digger, & that was about 4 years ago.

You will find all kinds of uses for it other than digging ditches.

/ TC35 / TC40 / TC45 with or without backhoe? #6  
Yet to be mentioned is the lower lift capacity of the FEL on the TC35 as compared to the 40 & 45. The relief valve setting is lower. I believe this is to compensate for the shorter engine block and longer front frame found in the 3 cylinder TC35 and its variants. I'm not sure a steady diet of lifting & carrying large square bales is best accomplished by a Class III tractor, and especially by a 35.

/ TC35 / TC40 / TC45 with or without backhoe? #7  
My homemade quick hitch is just attachments that slip onto each lower arm , similar to "Pats quick hitch " but not nearly as fine . It does the job , think I have maybe $15 into it as I already had the metal for the fabrication of them , just had to buy the pins . In my situation , it most definitely speeds up the process of changing implements as the terrain is sloped and irregular were all my implements are , so I no longer have to get the pins aligned for each arm . Simply lower arms below implement pins , back under implement , raise arms and put pins through top of hooks .

I have to take them off when I put the backhoe on , the stick up high enough that I don't want to chance hitting a hose or something . I do loosen up the side turnbuckle's on the side arms to swing them inside the frame of the B.H. thus it makes it less stressful in backing under it .

Fred H.

/ TC35 / TC40 / TC45 with or without backhoe? #8  
A tractor backhoe is one of those things in life that you will kick yourself for buying OR not buying.... Can't win either way.... Good luck with your decision.... :) [ on the plus side of getting one, you can do stuff that you would not want to drag a rented hoe home to do on your own last minute time frame. On the minus side, you do have to take it off to use the 3pt. ]

/ TC35 / TC40 / TC45 with or without backhoe? #9  
Having the BH on with a loader is also great ballast and takes less space then a mower and I find it less cumbersome on the back then a box blade.

/ TC35 / TC40 / TC45 with or without backhoe? #10  
I have a 758 off my Ford. I was researching it earlier because I want to sell it and realized they might still produce (or at least up till recently) it for the TC line for New Holland.

Anyway on my 30ish hp tractor it did ok. Needed to replace some dry rotted hoses by the time I got around to owning it (inherited it). It certainly is good ballast weight when on the tractor.

I dug a couple holes with it, it isn't very fast but handy enough. Think my dad dug around 1000ft of ditch with it from what I remember and that is about all it has done.

Sometimes it is cheaper to rent.