Tc35d ran out of diesel uphill

/ Tc35d ran out of diesel uphill
I think so too that the problem with the solenoid is actually ends up being something dumb, like a safety switch for the seat, PTO, brake or whatever. With the solenoid in and any of them safety devices being active, there is no bleeding going on.
Problematic it becomes if the levers all indicate proper position, but jet the safety mechanism stays engaged. All you and do there is to find them and repair, or defeat them.
Don’t these tractors have a lift pump that starts pumping fuel to the injector pump as soon as you turn the key?
Good news is we have bypassed (hardwired) all safeties years ago. Best thing we ever did. We have the new solenoid in. Tank is full. Good gravity fuel flow. I think we have an air lock. Have cracked open all 3 injector manifold “nuts” to bleed. Imperceptible fuel flow—bubbles? Nothing out of bleed screw. Engine makes no attempt to fire. Cranks strong. Battery on charger.

I think so too that the problem with the solenoid is actually ends up being something dumb, like a safety switch for the seat, PTO, brake or whatever. With the solenoid in and any of them safety devices being active, there is no bleeding going on.
Problematic it becomes if the levers all indicate proper position, but jet the safety mechanism stays engaged. All you and do there is to find them and repair, or defeat them.
Don’t these tractors have a lift pump that starts pumping fuel to the injector pump as soon as you turn the key?
Good news is we have bypassed (hardwired) all safeties years ago. Best thing we ever did. We have the new solenoid in. Tank is full. Good gravity fuel flow. I think we have an air lock. Have cracked open all 3 injector manifold “nuts” to bleed. Imperceptible fuel flow—bubbles? Nothing out of bleed screw. Engine makes no attempt to fire. Cranks strong. Battery on charger.

When bleeding any diesel fuel system you need to start close to the tank like you did.. in this case then move to the outlet of the lift pump, then the outlet of the high pressure pump and crack all the lines not just 1.

Once you get air in the system you can get a air lock so it may take a while to bleede the system.

/ Tc35d ran out of diesel uphill #14  
While bleeding you do have the throttle position on full bore, right?

While bleeding you do have the throttle position on full bore, right?
Yes, since reading that recommendation. We are thinking the air is trapped in the fuel transfer pump that operates mechanically when the engine turns. It has two fuel lines attached. I know fuel is flowing in the input line(prior to reattaching it). We have strong gravity flow since the tractor is not drastically uphill and the tank is full. The lines in/out of the pump are inaccessible with the fuel filter in place. Maybe we take the “out” line loose and try to suck it with something while cranking. We will try that.

/ Tc35d ran out of diesel uphill #16  
Crack only one injector at a time and crank until fuel comes out the nut.

Neighbor came over army mechanic. Shot in ether. Fired up. Leak in steel line near bleeder screw area. Ran until we backed off throttle. At least now we know the real problem. Not sure how running out of diesel compounded into this. Thank you for help and caring.
Anne

/ Tc35d ran out of diesel uphill #18  
Greetings Anne,
I don't know about your particular tractor but for some diesel engines ether can cause stuff to break. I have been told by many folks to never use ether in my Yanmar YM2310 because it could cause the piston rings to break. So you may want to be careful about using any more ether. Your neighbor, being a mechanic, probably knows this and certainly felt it was OK to use but you might want to check just in case.
BTW, thanks a bunch for posting about finding the problem.
Cheers,
Eric